Need education on tv antenna

I have never used an RV antenna system as my old RV had satilite, my new to me greystone still has the factory bat wing and I get zero signal where ever I go, I know they are not the best but it seems like I should get at least something, I’ve checked a website that shows local broadcast towers and it seems like their is some within a 50-100 mi. radius. I have checked connections but still not sure if I’m operating the TV right for antenna connection, it’s just a typical modern day flat screen. I will try to enclose a pic of the cable outlet that’s inside cabinet, I’m not sure if I need to add to that with a booster or something, all I know is it has a button with a red light that goes on and off, the system works well if Im plugged into cable. I am also testing this in my driveway and surrounded by mountains so I’m sure that might interfere with it too.

A satilite is in the future, but would also like to hear infro on an antenna upgrade for the meantime, I was looking at some that look like they clamp on to the bat wing, thoughts..

Attachments

• 5BAC31B9-3272-45EF-9327-33C6542E5DB5.jpg
    5BAC31B9-3272-45EF-9327-33C6542E5DB5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 43

danemayer

For antenna TV, you use the same coax as used with cable. But, for antenna, the red light MUST be ON. For cable it MUST be OFF.

At the TV, go into the menu and change the setting from Cable to Antenna and then do a channel scan. Note that if the antenna isn't pointed at a TV tower, the channel scan may come up empty. Also, 50-100 miles is quite a long way for today's digital signals. If you do pick something up on the channel scan, the picture will likely be quite pixelated and drop in and out.

There can be loose connections that affect antenna performance. There's one at the batwing and another up above the rotary control in the ceiling, and then another at the signal booster. Cable and antenna signals merge at the signal booster, so if the cable reception is ok, everything downstream from the signal booster is probably ok.

But until you're close enough to have a strong TV signal, no point tearing things up to find problems that may not exist.

One other thing. If your interior fuse box has LEDs next to the fuses, they pass a little current even when the fuse is blown. And it's just enough to illuminate the signal booster LED. So if you're in a good reception area and don't get a signal, check the fuses.