Changing from one 12v to two 6v batteries ?

KenJ

I believe I'm going to purchase two Crown 6 volt 235 AH golf cart batteries to replace my one Interstate group 24 deep cell marine battery. I understand that they should be connected in series. I'm not very quick regarding electricity and am hoping someone can walk me through the process. Currently my 1-12v is connected to a battery cutoff switch on the negative side( I think):confused:.
Should I connect a cable from the neg post of one battery to the positive post of the other then connect the other cables to one post of the cutoff switch?

Also, will my existing coach inverter/charger now automatically charge my batteries while connected to shore power and while towing? What is your opinion of Crown batteries?
Thanks.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This should help
5e38cbd545ce307e8590872a8cd2ea70.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KenJ

I believe I'm going to purchase two Crown 6 volt 235 AH golf cart batteries to replace my one Interstate group 24 deep cell marine battery. I understand that they should be connected in series. I'm not very quick regarding electricity and am hoping someone can walk me through the process. Currently my 1-12v is connected to a battery cutoff switch on the negative side( I think):confused:.
Should I connect a cable from the neg post of one battery to the positive post of the other then connect the other cables to one post of the cutoff switch?

Also, will my existing coach inverter/charger now automatically charge my batteries while connected to shore power and while towing? What is your opinion of Crown batteries?
Thanks.

Thank you, that diagram helps alot. I'm still a little confused about the wiring to the cutoff switch though.

mlpeloquin

Look at your current set up. Take a picture. Connect the + lead to the - lead on the two new batteries. Connect the wire from the old battery + lead to the open + connection on the one of the new batteries and the - lead from the old battery to the open - connection on the other.

danemayer

Before disconnecting anything, take a good, clear picture of everything on and around the battery. Pay close attention to all wires that are attached to the battery. There have been one or two occasions where batteries were being upgraded and secondary wires were left disconnected, creating problems.

Also, make sure you connect the new batteries in the correct polarity. If you get it wrong, you'll blow the on-board fuses on the Power Converter.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Before disconnecting anything, take a good, clear picture of everything on and around the battery. Pay close attention to all wires that are attached to the battery. There have been one or two occasions where batteries were being upgraded and secondary wires were left disconnected, creating problems.

Also, make sure you connect the new batteries in the correct polarity. If you get it wrong, you'll blow the on-board fuses on the Power Converter.
Good advice Dan.
Take pictures!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KenJ

Continuing on with this project, initially my intention was to eventually install a small 200-300w solar system. At the moment I am going to install 2 6V deep cycle batteries in series. I only need this much power because I'll not be camping for more than a week at the most. I'll be charging when required with my portable 2000W generator My onboard charger/inverter is a Cheng 55 Amp unit. Do I need to use a heavy duty cable with this small size converter to connect the + to the- posts or will a 4 gauge wire suffice? All the solar power threads seem to imply that heavy wires be used. Is this because they are using more amps?

Last edited: