What hitch should I buy?

B

BicycleDave

I have a F-350 diesel dually with a full 8' box and the Tow Boss package, so I should have no trouble pulling a Sundance.

My question is what kind of hitch should I get? I assume since the truck is rated at 18,600, I want a hitch rated that high. What are the differences in a cushioning hitch pin vs. a cushioning hitch? Which type is best or do I not need this feature at all?? What brand or type of hitch is best and why?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I don't know if anyone can tell you which is best for you, but several will help out with their opinions. :)
We've had two brands, both top rated. We had a PullRite Superglide and we now have the B&W Turnover Ball in our F-350 Dually. The only reason we switched is the 05 came with it. Good things about both hitches. We preferred the way the PullRite towed, but the B&W is much easier to lift in and out. Both leave a clean bed. We also preferred the way the Pull-Rite hitched as the handle was much longer and the way the locking cam wrapped around the pin . You could pull the handle from the side easily. The B&W has a shorter handle which needs a step stool to lock it from the side of the bed. It also has a very positive lock. Because it requires you to pin and un-pin the handle it's highly unlikely you'd ever drop your hitch on your bed.
Either is a good hitch, but If I were buying a new hitch, I think we'd get the PullRite Super Fifth. Just one opinion.

B

BicycleDave

Thanks for the response. I've heard of Mor-ride, Trail Air and Fifth Airborne hitch pins. Is there anything similar available in hitches? If so, is there more advantage to the pin or the hitch?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the response. I've heard of Mor-ride, Trail Air and Fifth Airborne hitch pins. Is there anything similar available in hitches? If so, is there more advantage to the pin or the hitch?
We have a Trail Air and it helps absorb the verticle shock involved while towing. The 5th airborne is similar. The Mor-ryde help absorb front to back movement. The air suspension hitches are pretty costly. We have a middle of the road 16K Reese combined with the Trail Air. We still get some chucking on the really bad roads or situations but overall it's a good set-up. As always, the more you spend, the more you get.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
While I am very happy with my Pullrite Superglide and the factory support that I have twice received, I should point out that the configuration of the Superglide requires a special plate to lock the hitch pin to the hitch so that the automatic slide works. This means that only another Pullrite Superglide owner could tow my unit. I do understand that there is a special adapter that can be purchased to allow anyone to tow it, however.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Why would he want a Slide hitch with an 8ft bed.

I use a B&W and like it. I have watched others try to release their trailer by pulling this bar and have to get a screwdriver to get it to release. The B&W removes easily, is a 30k gooseneck and a 18k hitch with the Companion 5th wheel. B&W Companion

Only thing you have to do with the Companion is check out the U-Bolts. Some have had a problem with Gaulding.

B

BicycleDave

Everyone - Good info - thanks for the input. Have also heard of an air safe air box, and a 4way reese hitch that is supposed to swivel to facilitate releasing the trailer. Anyone have knowledge of these?? tks again, BicycleDave

Tom of Ypsi

We have a 20K Reese hitch that swivels with a Trail Air pin box with two (2) shocks and and we are quite satisfied with this set up.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the 18K Reese Signature Series Hitch and it pivots 4 ways and have been well pleased with it .....Kenny

N9MB

I have the Airsafe Revolution 18K hitch. It is a 2 bag hitch which mounts on standard Reese bed rails. I love the hitch because of the huge amount of up and down travel it has, more travel = smoother ride. Another benefit is the reduced wear and tear on the truck and fiver, not to mention the passengers. A little pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

Delaine and Lindy

We have had several 5th wheel hitches, including the top of the line IMHO, the Trailer Saver air ride hitch. However we now have the B&W turnover ball with the companion 5th wheel hitch. It can be removed by one person in about 10 minutes and when removed you have a clean Truck bed and don't have to put plugs in to cover 4 holes like some other brands. You also will have the ability to pull a Gooseneck trailer. The hitch is rated at 18,000 lbs for the 5th wheel hitch and 30,000 lbs for the Gooseneck. I recomend the B&W over all the other Static hitches. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....

Delaine and Lindy

We also have the Trailair pin box and this is the second we have owned, it does ok however after owning the Trailer Saver air ride hitch with the Mor/Ryde pin box, well let say I was spoiled. Not really sure if I like the Trailair pin box. I also have the the Trailair center point suspension which I do like very much. GBY....

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Reese Power Puck w/24k Signature Series

Anyone have experience with the Power Puck mount and the 24k Reese Signature Series setup? We have a 2008 F350 crew cab, short box 4x4 diesel and will be pulling a new Augusta. I have read that the trailer pin is rated @ 18k, but have found I can buy the 24k hitch for another $150 and like the extra heft. I also like the thought of a clean truck bed if I remove the hitch but would appreciate feedback from any who have been there before me.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I have a 18k Reese Signature Series with the Power Puck mount and it works great. Easy to mount and remove, except it is a little heavy. IMO I say go for it.

2010augusta

Anyone have experience with the Power Puck mount and the 24k Reese Signature Series setup? We have a 2008 F350 crew cab, short box 4x4 diesel and will be pulling a new Augusta. I have read that the trailer pin is rated @ 18k, but have found I can buy the 24k hitch for another $150 and like the extra heft. I also like the thought of a clean truck bed if I remove the hitch but would appreciate feedback from any who have been there before me.

I pull our Augusta with the Reese 18K Signature Series and Standard rails, the rail are channeled into the bed in the F-450, so no need for power pucks for a flat bed for me, but the Sig. Series hitch is great, easy to operate and rock solid. I have the standard pin box and have not experienced any chucking. The hitch also looks much better IMO.

Duramax1

I also have the 18K Reese Signature Series Hitch and that rating is well in excess of what I really require to pull our Sundance.

I experience very little bouncing or chucking, probably because of the excess capacity of the hitch as well as its design.

Duramax1

The Signature Series power puck mounting is really great.

Some one remarked that the hitch is quite heavy but it should be remembered that the hitch head can be easily and quickly separated from the hitch base by removing two cotter pins. The weight that you are then dealing with for removing the components is quite manageable.