Burners won't light

CornelR

In our 2010 Landmark, Oakmont is an Amana aly2280bds gas oven/range. The burners will not light. THe fellow who delivered it frantically spun the piezo knob and stripped the center out. I have one on order. Meanwhile, we did discover that if I turn the gas on and wait 10-15+ seconds and then spin the piezo (before he toasted it) the burner would sometimes light. The gas furnace works perfectly so propane is flowing. We have looked for leaks and find none. I am a newbie any help will be gratefully acceptecd. I have perused the appropriate forum and did not see this issue. I am also reading some of the provided HUD manuals.

danemayer

Successfully lighting the burners on top will verify that propane is getting to the range. If the top burners don't light, there's a problem with the propane flow.

Although I'm not sure about your Amana, the piezo knob may only spark the top burners. The oven burner probably works differently. most use a pilot light and thermocouple. The pilot needs to be lit manually with a lighter or long stem match.

CornelR

Successfully lighting the burners on top will verify that propane is getting to the range. If the top burners don't light, there's a problem with the propane flow.

Although I'm not sure about your Amana, the piezo knob may only spark the top burners. The oven burner probably works differently. most use a pilot light and thermocouple. The pilot needs to be lit manually with a lighter or long stem match.

We did get the top burners to light a few times before the piezo knob tanked. So, propane is flowing. I have not addressed the oven yet.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With our stove, we found that occasionally the wire to the piezo would come out of it's socket. Lift the burner top and check the wire. It may have become loose or completely come out. Kinda hard to destroy it by turning it too much.

Sometimes, reading posts about technicians, I'm reminded of the old AAMCO commercial where the guy sweeping the floor tells the boss he always wanted to fix a transmission.

CornelR

With our stove, we found that occasionally the wire to the piezo would come out of it's socket. Lift the burner top and check the wire. It may have become loose or completely come out. Kinda hard to destroy it by turning it too much.

Sometimes, reading posts about technicians, I'm reminded of the old AAMCO commercial where the guy sweeping the floor tells the boss he always wanted to fix a transmission.

Thanks for that. The piezo actually worked before he ruined the knob. He spun it so vigorously that he stripped the inside of the plastic knob out so that would no longer engage the stem that goes into the piezo generator on the front of the stove. This problem wasn't spark, we got plenty of that the problem is the burners will not light.
Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

We did get the top burners to light a few times before the piezo knob tanked. So, propane is flowing. I have not addressed the oven yet.

For the time being, forget about the piezo knob. Use something you can hold in your hand to see if the burners light reliably on the top of the stove.

For the oven, on most, you have to push the knob IN and hold while lighting the pilot. The pilot has to burn for as much as 30 seconds to get the thermocouple up to temperature so that the gas valve will operate when you turn the knob to a temperature setting.

CornelR

For the time being, forget about the piezo knob. Use something you can hold in your hand to see if the burners light reliably on the top of the stove.

For the oven, on most, you have to push the knob IN and hold while lighting the pilot. The pilot has to burn for as much as 30 seconds to get the thermocouple up to temperature so that the gas valve will operate when you turn the knob to a temperature setting.

Yesterday evening I used a lighter and couldn't get them to come on. I have cleaned out the orifices as instructed to no avail. I am at a loss now.

wdk450

Yesterday evening I used a lighter and couldn't get them to come on. I have cleaned out the orifices as instructed to no avail. I am at a loss now.

Do any other propane items work? Water heater. furnace, refrigerator?

I had problems with my stovetop in that only the front center burner worked reliably (I don't use the sparker ignition) . I disassembled the burner tubes as much as possible and cleaned them and blew them out with compressed air. The back 2 still don't light as fast as the front one, but they DO light now.