Dealers do not want to do warranty work

gsbainter

I purchased my 2008 Sundance 193 miles from my home in September. Now I have some warranty work that needs to be done, and not wanting to drive all the way down to my purchasing dealer (which I know is always preferred), I called two local dealers that sell Heartland products (Ray's RV in Sacramento sells Landmark and Bighorn, and Manteca Trailer in Manteca sell's Sundance). Well, to my surprise (or maybe not), neither of them will do warranty work for me. Ray's said that they are very busy and can only take appointments from their customers, and Manteca stated that "they have had lots of trouble with this kind of thing and would require payment up front". Well, I can probably buy Ray's excuse, but Manteca's was completely ludicrous! If they are an authorized Heatland (and Sundance) dealer, there should be no reason why they cannot help me. They have one of the largest dealerships in California with 15 service bays in their service department. I basically called him on it and told him to just tell me the truth and say that you don't want to help me because I didn't buy it from you. He stammered a little bit and said "I am just telling you what I was told". Well, I guess if I have to drive the 193 miles back to my purchasing dealer, I will. But I want to see if I can find another option first. I wonder if Camping World would do it?

flamingknitter

Hi -

I got caught up in the Dan Gamel mess. In fact, they had my rig when they decided to close their doors on repair work. The Heartland people suggested Affordable RV in Newcastle. (530-889-8174). I have had my rig in for warranty work and they have been very helpful. They are really busy and you'll need an appointment but so far they have gone out of their way to help me resolve some issues that were billed and never done.

Hope this helps..
Marybeth

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Greg, sorry to here of your dilema with repairs. Two years ago when we were shopping for new rig I had two dealers tell me outright that they would service the rig but I would be at the end of the line behind their customers. That line may never end. That's why we bought from a dealer five miles from home. It was well worth paying a pittance more. I am glad that I'm not a purchaser that has to complain about my dealer being four, five or six hundred miles from home. I hope someone helps work things out for you. And I'm sure you will be helped. Good luck.
Peace
Dave

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Greg, let me see if I can help you tomorrow morning.
A couple weeks ago, I specifically asked the service manager at Ray's if they would take other dealers service. He did tell me that If I referred them, they would take a few as they could fit them in. I'll call him tomorrow AM and send you a PM you with the answer. Keep in mind, they have a small facility and we do schedule our trips pretty far in advance. Maybe a couple months or more?
We have had excellent service from them and after hearing some of their horror stories, I understand why they might be reluctant to take on another dealers service issues. I'll see what I can do.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I purchased my 2008 Sundance 193 miles from my home in September. Now I have some warranty work that needs to be done, and not wanting to drive all the way down to my purchasing dealer (which I know is always preferred), I called two local dealers that sell Heartland products (Ray's RV in Sacramento sells Landmark and Bighorn, and Manteca Trailer in Manteca sell's Sundance). Well, to my surprise (or maybe not), neither of them will do warranty work for me. Ray's said that they are very busy and can only take appointments from their customers, and Manteca stated that "they have had lots of trouble with this kind of thing and would require payment up front". Well, I can probably buy Ray's excuse, but Manteca's was completely ludicrous! If they are an authorized Heatland (and Sundance) dealer, there should be no reason why they cannot help me. They have one of the largest dealerships in California with 15 service bays in their service department. I basically called him on it and told him to just tell me the truth and say that you don't want to help me because I didn't buy it from you. He stammered a little bit and said "I am just telling you what I was told". Well, I guess if I have to drive the 193 miles back to my purchasing dealer, I will. But I want to see if I can find another option first. I wonder if Camping World would do it?

Sorry to hear that but this is somewhat normal. I too do not agree with dealers stance like this but unfortunately they get to make the rules. I had a similar experience in that my dealer went out of business before I could get my left over PDI issues and some new warranty issures resolved. I talked with other local Heartland dealers who for the most part did not want to do warranty work but were very willing to help me out if I had an issue that would keep us from camping. That was actually nice to hear but wasn't the predicament we were in. I decided that it would be in our best interest to get the work done right in Elkhart. This is a 4 hour drive but I have a much better feeling that things will get taken care of. I realize that this doesn't help you directly but if you were to call Heartland they may be able to direct you in a better direction to get your issues taken care of.

Good luck,

Mark

Uncle Rog

My dealer, Richardson's in Sun City, was worthless for warranty work. Get a hold of HL and find an authorized repair shop, not a dealer for your work. The guy I use is first cabin. He schedules the work, you bring it in, and he fixes it, in a reasonable amount of time.

techman

Two years ago when we were shopping for new rig I had two dealers tell me outright that they would service the rig but I would be at the end of the line behind their customers. That line may never end. That's why we bought from a dealer five miles from home.

This past summer we decided on the TT we wanted and started looking for the "best price". I had my choice between a dealer 1½ hours away and another that was 4 hours away. The furthest dealer was about $1700 cheaper. Sounds like a no brainer, right? Well, just like Cookie, I was told point blank by the closest dealer that they would work on my new TT BUT I would be at the end of the line after they took care of their customers first. A Heartland rep echoed this as well. This may be right or wrong but I certainly appreciated their candor in how things actually work. So I calculated my costs to travel to the second dealer and the closest dealer dropped his price to closely match the cheaper price plus my costs and we closed the deal.

Today I dropped off my new TT for its first visit to my dealer for some warranty work and I feel so pleased that I didn't buy based on price alone. Buy from the dealer who will treat you right.

Mike

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you travel fulltime like some of us, you don't have a local dealer to do warranty or general repair. When I had a problem I called Steve Kennel at HL. He got me in contact with the person that would most help me. So far everything has been fixed or working well.

If your setting at home and need warranty work the closest dealer is great. However if your on vacation or just traveling like us, the dealer near home is not an option. As with most of us our problems never happen on a Monday morning 2 blocks from home. It happens on a Friday evening about 5 pm near a little podunk town in northern Wyoming. It is called Murphy's Law.

bill40

Hello Greg,
This is not just a problem in your area. We live in Pa. and in May we were coming back from a four month trip and on the way back decided to purchase a BC. Like you the dealer is over 200 miles round trip. There is a dealer 14 miles from our home. When I was there they did not handle Heartland products. After taking delivery in June and bringing the unit home I found the purching dealer had not fixed some electrical problems. I was planing on taking a shake down trip so I called the dealer in town, they refused to help. They gave me two reasons , I didn't buy from them and Heartland didn't pay enough for warranty work. I called Heartland for help and they did intrecede and the dealer did fix the unit. The owner accused me of buying the unit in Ohio ( not true ) just to save money. I told him to get his fax straight and if he had handled them when I was at there last show I may have waited. I also informed him that they no longer handled motorhomes ( they use to service mine ) and I could not even get a oil change prior to our trip. I will say the service agent was great and understanding but he has to follow the owners orders. When I picked the unit up they made a point of telling me how much more I over paid for the unit. When I asked how much of a trade they would have given me for the MH I got no answer. Luckely I have a local rv repairman I can go too but that means I have to pay if it would be a warranty item. I just wonder what it would be like on a trip if I had a major problem. Heartland will try to help but they can only do so much these dealers can pretty much do what they want. Good luck Bill

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The dealers have it all wrong. They are missing the chance to pick up some extra coin...and extra merchandise sales. All they are doing is losing out to Camping World. I can't think of a single time I ever had a vehicle in for warranty repairs that I did not buy something big. Or, return there for a major purchase simply because they helped me out.

I wonder about warranty work when it's the dead of winter and the local sales and services are kinda on the down trend.

A lot of them don't want to even service those that they sell.

bill40

You are correct Lefty, I checked my records and found we had spent a good bit at that dealer over the past several years, but obviously not enough. My wife would like a washer, dryer in the BC. After this visit I will get it from my repairman instead of the dealer. When I priced it out he is cheaper over all, no charge for installation. The dealer was adding labor for installation, little higher on the unit.

sasha_j

Bob & Pat Curry and Lefty are spot on.

1. For a full timer or a vacationer in transit, the concept of a local dealer is meaningless.
2. Dealers not wanting to take on service work are leaving money on the table. In the coming years, if not already, their service depts will be more profitable than RV sales.

techman

If you travel fulltime like some of us, you don't have a local dealer to do warranty or general repair.

Yep, my bad. I tend to forget about all the fulltimers who are fortunate enough to be able to follow that lifestyle. I am probably just jealous. :D

It seems that when issues like this occur, Heartland is able to locate a dealer who is able to help those folks on the road. Maybe Heartland can publish a list these "Exceptional" dealers who are happy to help those who need it away from home.

Mike

flamingknitter

I purchased my rig from a dealer that no longer provides service and so far have had good luck with Affordable RV doing my repairs. Still have the blackwater issue to be resolved but we are working on it.

I bought my truck out of state and my local dealer is more than happy to do warranty work on it. It has never been an issue. It is too bad that RV dealers don't have the same pressures that car dealers do. If the car dealer doesn't get good feedback there are sanctions. There is no accountability from RV dealers/repair places to the RV makers. Until things improve, this probably won't change.

I hope GSBainter finds a place for service.

Marybeth

truknutt

Committed Member
Hello Greg,
This is not just a problem in your area. We live in Pa. ...There is a dealer 14 miles from our home.

Bill,

This wouldn't be Reichart's Camping World, would it? I had my little conversation with them. We were coming up on our 1 year mark so wanted to get the warranty work done. We live in Chambersburg so based on the word of a fellow forum member & wanting to only drive 40 miles vs. the 120 up to Hamburg; I tried to get the Cyclone's work done there along with the annual state inspection. Figured I would let them make some quick coin by winterizing it, also.

"Did you buy it here?" Stupid question since they don't handle Cyclones!

"We can't do your warranty work but can get your inspection & winterizing done for you." Bet me; I'll drive back up to Hamburg before you treat me like.......

The Service guy commenced to tell me that Heartland doesn't pay anything for warranty work and that it is only performed as a courtesy to their customers. Then he tells me that their new line of toyhaulers (don't remember the brand & don't care either) was superior to mine!

I just hope they sell a boatload of new units to get them through these economic times!

bigredtruck

I heard a similar thing - Heartland doesn't pay enough for warranty work.
Knock on wood, we haven't had any problems yet that we can't fix ourselves, but are leaving ourselves open for a trip back to Michigan next summer before the warranty runs out!

boatdoc

We had bought several RVs from a local, 25 miles away, dealer. Know them by first names, owner, sales and service manager. When we went to buy they did not have the model we wanted and to meet our time frame they could not get it, by about 2 months. I called the West Coast rep and he knew exactly what was where and what was comming to all the dealers in the PNW. Our model was to show up at another dealer within days, barring anymore snow, so I called them and wanted first shot at it. No problem. I jumped in the truck and went to the local dealer and told the Service manager what was up and he didn't care one bit where it was bought if anything other than cosmetics was wrong, he'd fix it. He said it didn't matter to him where the money came from.
Low and behold on the way home from the purchase or possibly from Indiana, the rear axel flipped, no trailer damage. This was on Christmas eve. I called the dealer we purchased from and he got hold of the close dealer and that was that. Fixed the next week. To great dealers and Heartland right in the middle.
I will add the owner of the close dealer was rather pi$$ed when he saw me bring in the rig but I did give them the first shot at selling one. I have since taken it back one more time for a fresh water leak in the belly, sliced water intake hose and it was all done that afternoon. I do call and get appointments ahead.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
You are correct Lefty, I checked my records and found we had spent a good bit at that dealer over the past several years, but obviously not enough. My wife would like a washer, dryer in the BC. After this visit I will get it from my repairman instead of the dealer. When I priced it out he is cheaper over all, no charge for installation. The dealer was adding labor for installation, little higher on the unit.

Make sure you let your dealer know what you are doing and why...his failure to honor the factory warranty just cost him a couple of thousands in sales.

$$$ always gets their attention.

bill40

Truknutt, you have the right dealer (Reichart's). You had to talk to the same guy I did, story was word for word.I think I have a idea why they change manufactures every couple years. I bought mine in Hamburg but really don't want to use Rt. 78, that is the second worst road I know of. We live in Lake Meade, just outside of East Berlin. I found that BKC on Rt. 30 does nice work for a reasonable price. Very small shop but works on all types of Rv's.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I had 32 issues to be fixed under warranty and Gary at Heartland agreed to let the local repair shop do the work, as my dealer was 7 hours away. They did an average job, although they had to bug Heartland to pay. Once I put Gary on with the repair shop, they were paid immediately. I still have about 10 issues left that the local shop didn't repair correctly that Heartland paid for, so I will be stuck to allow them to finally get it right.