Arrrrrr.......Stinkin mice

NYSUPstater

Well I guess you could say is was a 30/70 day. Got my new circuit breakers yesterday and installed them today. Woo Hoo, no problems !!!! That's the 30. Took the coach to local body shop cuz the storage place had to move it last fall after I dropped it off (I put it in right spot I was told). Somehow, it fell or moved on their forklift and put 2 scrapes in nosecone. They told me about it when I picked it up so wasn't too PO'd and really, I told them S**t happens, but they told me to get an estimate/fixed or free storage. Body shop said they'd have to replace the decals and basically re-do the whole nosecone and then apply clearcoat to help protect it and because it has 2 colors, well that just adds to the time. $2,000-2,100 early estimate. Like, whoa! Waiting for final to be e-mailed and then fwd to storage place. Don't think they will be too happy. This is 1/2 of the 70. Bring coach back and get her set up on side of garage, level up and open it up. All looks good......or so it 1st appeared. See a badly torn/chewed up "kleenex" which I believe was a drier sheet behind a recliner. Ok, so maybe I missed that last fall. Go into bedroom and same thing on bed. Now I know that wasn't there last fall. In fact, where are all the drier sheets? Ok, did I not put any out? Dang CRS? Start opening drawers and wholla! Remnants of a visitor or 2. Not in all drawers and no clothes chewed! That's the weird part. UGH ! Last half of the 70.

So in your folks opinion, what exactly should I wipe down w/Pine-Sol besides drawers w/ def markings? There is nothing in kitchen/LR/Pantry area except the chewed up drier(?)sheet. 1 drawer in kit and that's it. Couple in BR and mattress pad a must wash. What else should I hit?

TIA.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pick up a UV lamp and shine it around the rig (dark preferred). The urine trail (they tend to pee a lot) will show up under UV. Dryer sheets to deter mice is a myth, they use them for toilet paper. I plugged every hole in the frame I could find with foam, using a piece of wire cloth to span large openings before covering with foam. Pieces of old inner tube make great covers for hydraulic rams, with a small hole in the center for the rod. And I spray the frame and jacks every year with MouseFree. The stuff works!

BarbandFrank

If it were me (I am a clean freak), I would wash every possible surface thoroughly and then seal all openings/holes throughout the rig. Check your wiring to make sure nothing has been chewed.

To keep the mice out, I would recommend Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant - available from Amazon.

Good luck.

Barb

<tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
<strike></strike>

NYSUPstater

Thanks John, I ordered a UV flashlight from Amazon and it should be here Mon.

I will hit the known areas w/ Pine-Sol and wash the contents in known drawers in the meantime.

NYSUPstater

Got the UV flashlight yesterday and after I came home from work this morning, I took a looksy inside coach w/ it. I did not see any kind of pee trail(s) whatsoever. Just their little poops. Knowing where they were tho, I know I'll have to Pine-Sol several areas and wash items as well. Where did you get the spray bottle of mouse deterrent?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Got the UV flashlight yesterday and after I came home from work this morning, I took a looksy inside coach w/ it. I did not see any kind of pee trail(s) whatsoever. Just their little poops. Knowing where they were tho, I know I'll have to Pine-Sol several areas and wash items as well. Where did you get the spray bottle of mouse deterrent?

If you're asking about the MouseFree spray oil, it's not a spray bottle application. You need a spray gun (they sell a suitable one) and a small compressor. It's a thick, clear gel oil spiked with peppermint oil. Warning: if you use it and travel through dusty areas, it will collect dirt. What I've done after it starts looking a little crappy is wipe it all off with a rag and reapply. Since we're stationary, it doesn't get too bad.

You could also use a brush or paint roller to apply (my neighbor uses a roller), but the sprayer is faster and gets into tight spots.

Oldelevatorman

Thanks John, I ordered a UV flashlight from Amazon and it should be here Mon.

I will hit the known areas w/ Pine-Sol and wash the contents in known drawers in the meantime.

Forget Pine-Sol and use bleach to clean up after mice. They carry Hantavirus which is deadly. Use gloves and a mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

That's what I've use before (Fresh Cab). Now that this has been mentioned, I do recall that I didn't get my usual "total" that I normally do and got something like it from RV dealer. 2 years ago I used the Fresh Cab and no problems. Last year, no and problems. Dollars to donuts that was I'm willing to bet the reason we had some visitors this past winter.