Satellite dish (LNB which lights up)

shanise25

My father has an expensive satellite mounted on his RV and the LNB lights up during the night which i think it is very cool. I am looking for anyone who has heard or changed their LNB into one that lights up, if so where i can locate one. Thanks

SmokeyBare

The Blue Light is sort of an Un-official DataStorm Dish thing... BLUE LIGHT

Reading the posts on DataStorm's web forum, yes there were some who put a light on their tri-pod dishes.

Rayhound... is the name of one... (he's since Passes away) who used a 12 Volt LED light from an auto supply store. He formed a bracket to attach it to the arm... and he ran a 12 Volt power supply to the light.

Since then some others have used a battery powered LED Light to do the same thing.

Marv

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I've got a Datastorm....and the LED thingy is highly over-rated. While it may seem cool...it does draw attention to your dish...AND, your RV...and it may not be the kind of attention you want.

When I leave my RV, I stow both of the dishes and make sure that the light is turned off.

jbeletti

Rather than a Data Storm thing, I think this may be specific to certain MotoSat brand satellite dishes. I have a MotoSat TVRO (television receive only) dish and mine has the blue light. I was shocked when I saw it. I thought for sure it was for Data Storm satellite Internet dishes only. That said, my guess is that MotoSat makes the dishes for the Data Storm service.

Jim

dtvista

The Blue Light is doing it's job. It's getting people to talk about it. It's a MotoSat brand dish, and the Blue Light has nothing to do with the operation of either dish.

SmokeyBare

Duct tape... Solar power Garden Spot Light... Shazzzzzam !!

I agree they do draw attention to the MotoSat mounted systems. They can be seen for miles it seems... I remember as I looked into Quartzsite Arizona... from the Desert spot we were camped at... those blue lights always glowed bright !

Your right, it's not exactly a DataStorm thing as it is a MotoSat trade mark... sort of... I read it can be disabled or turned off...

I tend to agree with Lefty... I'm not into drawing attention to my RV... and the "Stuff" I have grown fond of... I sure would be unhappy if I came back to the RV, only to find my HugheNet dish missing !

Marv

Tom of Ypsi

Talked to a MotoSat salesperson and I was told the blue light is just a gimmick to get attention. They want people to inquire with the present MotoSat owners about the system. Good marketing ploy.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The Blue Light is doing it's job. It's getting people to talk about it. It's a MotoSat brand dish, and the Blue Light has nothing to do with the operation of either dish.

I've got 20 some-odd years doing commercial satellite communications...and If the operation of my earthstation depended on a open blue LED attached to the feed horn...

Well, let's just say that I'd go off screaming into the desert.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I've given this a lot of thought...and could not come up with one reason for the LED other than an advertising gimmick.