Can I pull a Bighorn 3580RL

rmelder

LSU5000
I am new to 5th Wheel RVing. I owned a 40' diesel motorhome and I am presently looking into trading it in on a Bighorn 3580RL. I own a 2008 F250 4X4 SRW with super springs and a timbren system. I use the truck to haul steel. I pull a 40' gooseneck trailer. I don't understand the comments that you need such a big truck to pull a 14 to 16K trailer. I pull 18 to 20K with my gooseneck trailer (payload and trailer) and I have absolutely no problem with pulling or stopping. The truck is licensed for 28,000# in Texas. That being noted I think I would have know problem pulling or stopping a 3580Rl. Am I missing something when it comes to 5th wheels? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
rmelder, welcome to the Heartland Forum. Reading the numbers you say your pulling, I can only assume you know you are way over your Combined weight rating when pulling 18 to 20K. We're not weight police here so feel free to tow anything you desire. Some of our members rigs are also over combined weight and that's a decision they are willing to make. Springs and air bags/timbrens don't change the trucks capacity. You probably will do fine with the 3580 and only be slightly overweight.