Clear screw on cap w/ screen on water pump.

NYSUPstater

Any info as to what this cap/screen is/does? Upon doing 1st batch of sanitizing system this morning (2am), I went out to attach garden hose to fresh tank so I can drain it tmrw at same time, noticed water dripping from basement. UH-OH !! Took everything out (man lotta stuff in here---thought we "lightened" the load when we got this coach), removed the panels to gain access to water pump/hoses etc and discovered that this clear cap w/ a screen(?) in it was loosened up some on the water pump and dripping. Tightened up by hand and no more drip. Put everything into the garage and plopped our floor drier i basement w/ the air blowing towards side where water was leaking out of. Both basement doors are open, but will close them up shortly BUT leave the air blower on all night anyways and then get some Damp Rid as a precaution.

What does that cap/screen do? Normal to become a tad loose over time/travels?

danemayer

It can come loose. Should be hand tight as it's probably possible to damage it overtightening. If winterizing with compressed air, extra steps are needed to protect the filter bowl and pump.

What is it for? Probably a last ditch effort to keep crud out of the pump. The pump's internal check valve can pass water in the wrong direction if crud gets inside.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Had to replace the clear bowl the first trip out last year. Apparently it developed a fine crack in it over the winter months. Was lucky enough to find the water leak with only a small area of the basement getting wet.

It always seems to be something....

NYSUPstater

Thanks Dan & Jamie. All was still dry this morning at 130 or so. Drained tank, re-filled w/ water, primed and ran system, no leaks!!

Dan, never knew the pump had such a thing, but makes perfect sense. I know things can get loosened up bouncing up & down our great roads, but never had this occur in last coach.

M