Tv and radio issues

dchansens

Good morning,

We have a 2017 M25 Mallard

First question, we are having issues with our tv getting any reception we have been trying for 2 years and would like to figure it out before to far into this year. We have tried everything. Any suggestions?

Second question, we are leaving the camper plugged in all winter because every time we unplug the radio through our speakers inside and out make a horrible static sound and the radio is not even turned on. Does not do this when traveling down the road I believe because we are plugged into the trucks wiring?

Help we would love to be able to maybe watch tv this summer sometimes.

Thanks
dchansens

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
To your first question there could be several answers.
First, is your antenna booster on?
Have you checked all coax connectors? Check the backside of any wall plates. I suggest that you take all f-connectors off and inspect them. Look for any strands of shielding wire touching the center traveler. Be sure all connectors are tight. Don't forget to inspect the backside of the booster.
Is there a coax from a wall plate to the TV and is it connected to the proper input?
Did you tell your TV to get the source from air? Did you do a channel search. This usually need to be done when you move to a different area.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I've got nothing for your radio problem.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

For the radio, try a couple of experiments.

- in your main circuit breaker panel, turn off the main breaker(s). Then plug and unplug the shore power cord.
- if no noise, turn the main breaker(s) back on. Turn off all the individual breakers. Plug and unplug again.
- if no noise, turn on one breaker at a time, plugging and unplugging to see which circuit is causing the noise.

If there was noise with the main breakers off, you should check that all the wires are tight where your shore power plug connects to the trailer (check where the wires attach to the receptacle). Also check the back side of the circuit breaker panel (with shore power unplugged) to ensure wires are tight.

Let us know what you find.

wdk450

Good morning,

We have a 2017 M25 Mallard

First question, we are having issues with our tv getting any reception we have been trying for 2 years and would like to figure it out before to far into this year. We have tried everything. Any suggestions?

Second question, we are leaving the camper plugged in all winter because every time we unplug the radio through our speakers inside and out make a horrible static sound and the radio is not even turned on. Does not do this when traveling down the road I believe because we are plugged into the trucks wiring?

Help we would love to be able to maybe watch tv this summer sometimes.

Thanks
dchansens

If I was trying to figure out the TV signal problem, I would start with a good TV signal directly into the TV then work my way down the coax wiring to the antenna injecting the good signal at every connection.. A cheap good TV signal source would be an old VCR or DVD player that has an RF output - That is usually on TV channel 3 or 4, but NOT a video output. Some players display a title screen even when the DVD/tape isn't running - others only put out a signal with the program source playing. Even an old video game with (again) an RF output on channel 3 or 4 would work for tracing the TV problems.

For the speakers problems, first thing I would disconnect the wiring at the speakers and jump in some temporary wires back to the radio (stereo?) to see if the problems are coming from the radio or the wiring. You might even wire in another stereo you have to the stereo ends of the temporary wiring to see if it has the same problems.

CDN

B and B
Two things to add to all the great ideas.

There where a bunch of LED lights that created radio frequency interference. This causes TV reception issues.

Second thing if your TV is on a slide there are connection just inside the frame joined with a F 81 double female connector. My have been loose on 3 different trailers. Also check for frayed out wires shorting out the Inner like cookie stated.

You can buy a tracer and check all cables for continuity. Found at Big Box stores.

wdk450

LEDs (especially those with dimmers) have cause Radio Frequency Interference problems with TV reception in the past, along with the cheap, electrically noisy, bathroom vent fan motors. I have never heard of RFI problems with kitchen hood vent fans, though.