Power Cord

Brutus2

We have a 2018 bighorn 5th wheel , and the shoreline cable doesn’t wind up ,have to hand crank it in . Found out that it is a plastic gear . Can they make a metal gear that will last longer?

danemayer

Hi Brutus2,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Are you saying that your Bighorn has a power-driven cord reel, and the gear has broken? If so, have you inspected it? Sometimes the chain comes off the gears.

donr827

Call the manufacturer of the cord reel and ask them about a metal gear. They may have one or point you in the right direction

2PawsRiver

As heavy as the cord is, should be a metal gear......not surprised that it's plastic, but should be metal....hope you are able to find one......a side not, the other responders did to seem to have a problem with the gear, while you have. Possibly there is an issue with unit or maybe you are doing something different.

I don't have a reel for mine, I'm too cheap and don't think one would work on our 4270. The only thing I hate about the power cord is it gets a bit dirty......one thing that comes to mind....are you trying to keep it cleaner by giving it enough resistance to keep the cord off the ground while it is wound in....that would put the mechanism under a pretty good amount of stress.

CoveredWagon

I don't have a reel for mine, I'm too cheap and don't think one would work on our 4270. The only thing I hate about the power cord is it gets a bit dirty......one thing that comes to mind....are you trying to keep it cleaner by giving it enough resistance to keep the cord off the ground while it is wound in....that would put the mechanism under a pretty good amount of stress.

You should try a Mor Ryde Easy Reel. It’s a manual reel. I have one in the basement of our 3270rs fits just fine. Never fails.

david-steph2018

This is the second gear in less than 4 mos. can we find a place that sells that gear
Which reel do you have? Same thing happened to us in January this year when picking our unit up from getting repaired in Goshen. When I opened it up the gear was broken in half. I think it is Southwire out of Florida whom made our reel. I sent them pics and they sent us a replacement for no cost.