Considering a Landmark Oakmont

lilriver

Hi ,
We are looking at buying a landmark, with a oakmont floor plan. I would like to know how happy everyone is with their heartlands, and if my truck will ever pull this 5er. I have an 2007 3500 HD Durmax crew cab long bed 4x4 but its not a dully. Now from the chevy spec. it tells me that the GCVR is 23500, and my truck weighs 8000. Now this leaves me 15500 but my dealer tells me that I can't pull anything over 12600, another dealer says its 14600. I thought when I bought this 3500, I could put the weight issue behine me. Now I don't know anymore..... What is an exhaust brake, thats something I have never heard of before ?? Thanks for your help.... Barry:cool:

ct0218

That 12,600 rating sounds like a pull-behind trailer rating, and the 14,600 would be your fifth wheel rating. My 3500 dually is rated around 15,600 I believe, and mine weighs 16,000. My pin weight is well below max on my truck, and yours should be close but probably OK. Your dealer apparently doesn't know the difference between a pull-behind and a fifth wheel weight rating.

cliffbuilt

We're very pleased with our Big Country:), its the 4th 5er we've owned, we're not full timers yet but were working on it. The dealership we purchased our trailer through was a very important factor also, this was the third RV with them, & I can't say enough about their good service & care. Good luck & happy camping.

Cliff

flamingknitter

You may be the first on the forum with an Oakmont! Isn't it the new Heartland floor plan with the separate living area?

I have an Augusta (also a Landmark) that I am pulling with a 3500 Chevy Dually. It has the crew cab and is 4 wheel drive. I believe that I am slightly over on gross weight but haven't been officially weighed. It pulls just fine and stops ok too.

I am genetically impaired (female) but my understanding is that Allison transmissions have the exhaust brake built in. My brother in law had to have an aftermarket one added to his Ford. I use it in Tow/Haul mode to slow the rig without the brakes. I'm sure one of the guys on here can explain it better I'm sure.

I hope you decide to buy. Heartland is great and the Landmarks are really nice. Welcome to the family!

Marybeth

windquest

Hi Barry and welcome to the forum.

We are also considering a Landmark and will consider a Ford because their GCVR is 26K for the 350 with towing package. We may actually end up with a 450 as their isn't much difference in the price when you compare apples to apples.

The exhaust brake you ask about is a device that uses the exhaust back pressure to brake the engine. Sometimes known as a Jake Brake....you hear the big trucks using it when they slow....It really saves the trailer and truck brakes and add a big margin of safety. IMO dual wheels are a must.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Henry

driver311

u might try rvsforless they have an oakmont in stock. butch will not stear u wrong about trucks.

driver311