2018 Newport Slide Fascia detachment

westro

Just returned from a trip to Concord NC, to find that the one of the entire fascia assemblies (there are 4, at the side walls of each rear slide) on the door side slide had come completely off the slide rear wall. The only thing keeping it from falling on the floor (or furniture, tv, etc) was the wiring at the top of the fascia column. This is a major piece of wood assembly, not just a paneling trim... I'm going to tackle it this week to put it back on, on initial inspection looks like it was only held by #18 nails shot into it during assembly of the entire slide itself, with the outside finished part added somehow to cover the nails, so its a major problem (among many others, this coach has had) and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and what did you do to resolve it?

So far I don't see a way to get a air nail gun into the recessed area of the fascia piece in order to re-nail it, and it doesn't look like the outside trim can be separated from the base piece of the fascia. (Like it was built as an assembly before attaching the entire piece as the slide was built. On the remaining good fascia columns, there is no visible access to the nail fasteners, so this ought to be fun...

jbeletti

I an others have had the interior (wood or faux) vertical fascia come off before. In most cases, something fell behind when the slide was in and when the slide was run out, the "something" got pinched and the force pushed the facia off.

In most cases, a brad nailer is used to shoot it back on.

westro

I an others have had the interior (wood or faux) vertical fascia come off before. In most cases, something fell behind when the slide was in and when the slide was run out, the "something" got pinched and the force pushed the facia off.

In most cases, a brad nailer is used to shoot it back on.

Thanks, Appreciate that, There was nothing near the vertical fascia, its just plainly poorly fastened, and I'm amazed it hadn't fallen off before this.
I took the Fascia assembly off yeaterday and took it into my shop. All of the brads they used... maybe 12 to 15 and not hardly long enough to hold it (might as well used thumbtacks), were shot through the 1 1/4 inch center piece that the LED lighting is fastened to in the fascia, into the slide wood backing.

So it looks like I will take out the center LED piece and put the fascia column back on using screws underneath the center piece (so they don't show) to the wood backing on the slide, and then brad nail the center piece back on over the screws.

Attachments

• 20190601_131448.jpg
    20190601_131448.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190601_131516.jpg
    20190601_131516.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 43

CDN

B and B
Hello,

To add to what Jim said. I used some screws correct length and hide them between the centre moulding and the size. I predrilled a hole and attached. My Louisville bedroom slide Fascia has the shelves that are used to lean on at times to get into the bed. I also attached the one beside our fridge that did fall off during PDI and was attached again with air nailer.

Brian

westro

To close out this episode, it turns out I could split the outside trim pieces of the fascia away from the base of it, then drilled and countersank drywall screws underneath those pieces.
It turned out that it was way too hard to get the center piece out without damaging the LEDs and the trim piece itself.

Once I had the bare fascia screwed back onto the slideout wood frame along with a few #18 2" Brad nails, I re-attached the outside trim pieces with #23 brad nails using air nailer.
The outside trim pieces cover and hide all of the screws used to secure the fascia base.

Regards,
Bob

20190601_131448.jpg 20190601_131516.jpg20190611_123736.jpg.20190611_123812.jpg20190611_125108.jpg