Installing Third AC in Garage

ZNK

Hello all... Looking for help. I am looking to install a third AC in our garage of our 2015 Road Warrior 415. I have already asked the factory if it was pre wired. It is not and I have verified that. I have tried to see if I could run some 12/2 wire to the garage through the ceiling, unfortunately I am only able to go about 5 feet and then it seems as though I hit an obstruction. Has anyone run wires in their ceiling before? Are there beams or trusses up there that prevent running wires? My next step is to get a scope to see what I am dealing with but was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this already. Thanks in advance!

Skywrench

Full Timer
I installed a 3rd A/C unit in the garage. I used 12-2 with ground (outdoor). I ran the wire underneath along the frame. There was an area below the rear bathroom where the plywood was cut out for the rear sewer drain. From there I ran the wire up inside the wall between the garage and main living quarters. I ran into a snag there. The inside walls of my unit are framed with metal studs and I found there was a door header that ran horizontally across the wall above the door. I was able to remove the back of one of the garage cabinets to get a flex bit in there to drill thru. Once I had the wire to the garage ceiling it was pretty easy to use a fish tape to pull it through the ceiling.

ZNK

Thanks for the info. Where did you connect to the inverter at? My box is full.

Skywrench

Full Timer
I had a spot where I could have taken out a 20 amp single breaker and added a double but I wanted to be able to run all 3 ac units at the same time and not worry about someone using the microwave or hair dryer etc. I installed a box on the frame and use a regular 12 gauge extension cord between the box the park pedestal. The box has a 20 amp breaker with a 20 amp inlet (male prongs) that you plug the female side of the extension cord into. It’s not set up for running the 3rd ac off the generator but I rarely run off the generator.

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-200B...eceptie&qid=1559627178&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0