How do I know if I am towing level?

bking

I recently added Firestone air suspension to my F250. This changes the height of the hitch. What exactly do I need to check to determine if I need to adjust the height of the hitch plate so I am towing the 5th wheel level?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't think you should have to adjust the height of your hitch because of having air bags. If there is a problem then it may not have been set up correctly from the get go. I have Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. I normally air them up before hitching to 35 or 40psi. When hitched up, the truck is level, or close to what it was before air and hitching, and the trailer is level. You have to test different inflations to see what works for your rig. When not towing I run 10psi.
Peace
Dave

bking

Thanks Dave. I just want to make sure I don't have the front end too high when traveling. I will take a closer look tomorrow at how level the trailer is when hooked up. Then I can decide if I need to adjust the new hitch any. Right now it is in the highest set of mounting holes.

Bob

osims

bsims
bking
On your first post you didn't state that you had a new hitch also. I pull my Landmark with a 4 wheel drive also. I had to lower my hitch to the second hole from the top, then you can adjust level with the airbags. You may have to play with several combinations of hitch and bags.
Good luck
Bill

rideblue

Before I picked up my 5er for the first time I put the hitch at the middle setting height. Before I hooked up the 5er I measured the height of the hitch reciever at the rear of the truck, then measured again after the 5er had the full weight on the truck. Put air in my Firestone air bags to bring the rear of the truck back up to where it was before. Then I measured the height of the skirt on the 5er at the front and the rear. Those 2 measurements were on different by 1/2", I figured that was close enough. I got lucky with that, but I could have changed the height of the 5er hitch if I needed to.

nscaler2

I recently added Firestone air suspension to my F250. This changes the height of the hitch. What exactly do I need to check to determine if I need to adjust the height of the hitch plate so I am towing the 5th wheel level?

When Mor/Ryde did the install for the new suspension system in my signature, they assured that they had gotten it right by parking the rig (truck and trailer connected) on a relatively level surface and then measured the distance from the bottom of the frame to the ground at the front of the trailer and at the back of the trailer. They got it spot on. They were within 1/8 inch at both ends. Anyhow, this is a good way to see if you are towing the trailer level. Hope this helps.

Forrest Fetherolf

Keep in mind the factory aligned the front axle based on the TV normal driving position and unloaded. Any weight added will alter the alignment and could cause excessive tire wear and adverse handling. I recommend air bags or equivalent installed to maintain that condition when loaded. The hitch and hitch-pin can be adjusted to level RV and/or RV suspension can be modified by installing lift spacers, longer spring shackles, air bags, or changing the springs arc. You shouldn’t allow the TV to change from normal driving position without considering a front axle alignment.

Forrest

Shadowchek

Keep in mind the factory aligned the front axle based on the TV normal driving position and unloaded. Any weight added will alter the alignment and could cause excessive tire wear and adverse handling. I recommend air bags or equivalent installed to maintain that condition when loaded. The hitch and hitch-pin can be adjusted to level RV and/or RV suspension can be modified by installing lift spacers, longer spring shackles, air bags, or changing the springs arc. You shouldn’t allow the TV to change from normal driving position without considering a front axle alignment.

Forrest

Jesus Forrest you are costing me too much money. I think I am going to have to go to the eye doctor after trying to read your post. Good info though.I think. :D

Greg

Last edited by a moderator: