Hello from Ireland, Europe - New Heartland Pioneer DS320 Owner

BarryC911

Hello from Ireland!

Mad/Crazy as it may seem, but we have purchased and shipped a 2019 Pioneer DS320 from Florida, USA to Ireland.

It shipped from Florida to Belgium to the UK and then onto Ireland. Collected it from the port and drove it home. We are now getting it all set up for our first trip away next week for 4 days (short trip first to get used to it).

Was reviewing the owners manual and there was a link to this site, so I thought I would come on and say hello.

We have holidayed in Florida for the past 2 years and fell in love with the idea of owning a US travel trailer and bringing it over to Ireland and to use it to tour around Ireland first and then wherever it takes us.

All excited!

danemayer

Hi BarryC911,

Congratulations on the new Pioneer and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You might find our collection of owner-written user guides helpful at some point. Here's a link.

We also have a very large collection of manufacturer manuals that cover appliances and subsystems. Here's a link.

If you have questions, feel free to ask on the forum. We have a great group of friendly and helpful owners who are quick to share what they've learned.

BarryC911

Hi BarryC911,

Congratulations on the new Pioneer and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You might find our collection of owner-written user guides helpful at some point. Here's a link.

We also have a very large collection of manufacturer manuals that cover appliances and subsystems. Here's a link.

If you have questions, feel free to ask on the forum. We have a great group of friendly and helpful owners who are quick to share what they've learned.
Thanks very much for the warm welcome and brilliant links for me to read up on. Much appreciated!!!

david-steph2018

Congrats on the new unit. Hope you have plenty of fun memories in it.
I have one question for you, if I may. What is the electrical in Ireland, here in the US it is 60 cycles, what is it in Ireland? It may make a difference on how equipment functions for you. Not sure if it will or not.

BarryC911

Congrats on the new unit. Hope you have plenty of fun memories in it.
I have one question for you, if I may. What is the electrical in Ireland, here in the US it is 60 cycles, what is it in Ireland? It may make a difference on how equipment functions for you. Not sure if it will or not.

Hi there, thanks for the welcome.

Yes we work on a different voltage system here in Ireland (220v), while you work on 110v in the US. I have a transformer that allows me to convert the power from the 220 down to 110 and we then are using 110v able equipment (TV's etc).

Thankfully we have an electrician friend helping us out making sure we are set up correctly. Initially we were going to convert everything on the trailer and change sockets/plugs and everything to 220V but thought of a different option when it arrived. We think we have a solution with the transformer and using 110v able equipment (tv, hair straighteners etc and using the propane for the water and cooker/fridge.

We have a week of testing everything (sewer hoses arriving Monday from US:D), adding and removing water from tanks etc and then we are heading off on first 4 day trip to:
http://connemaracamping.com/

danemayer

The appliances in your trailer are expecting 120V at 60Hz and will probably work at voltages between 107V and 127V.

I think Ireland's power is 230V at 50Hz.

When your transformer converts Ireland's 230V to 110/115/120V it probably doesn't change the frequency from 50Hz to 60Hz.

You should discuss this with your electrician friend as it's possible that some 60Hz devices may not work correctly at 50Hz.

david-steph2018

When I was stationed in Scotland we had to buy special adapters to use on our electrical items while on shore. That is why I was curious about the electrical supply in Ireland.

BarryC911

The appliances in your trailer are expecting 120V at 60Hz and will probably work at voltages between 107V and 127V.

I think Ireland's power is 230V at 50Hz.

When your transformer converts Ireland's 230V to 110/115/120V it probably doesn't change the frequency from 50Hz to 60Hz.

You should discuss this with your electrician friend as it's possible that some 60Hz devices may not work correctly at 50Hz.

Thanks, I will talk to him about the difference in Hz as I overlooked that and was focused too much on the voltage.

BarryC911

When I was stationed in Scotland we had to buy special adapters to use on our electrical items while on shore. That is why I was curious about the electrical supply in Ireland.
Yeah, we have English style 3 pin plugs in Ireland and use adapters from 3 pin to your American style pin.