Buying a 31QBS!

dbwell00

After a lot of looking, we have decided to purchase a 31QBS from Lakeshore RV. Thanks to all who provided towing advice; Lakeshore had the 28BHS and 31QBS right next to each other and the 31 just didn't look that much bigger sitting side by side, and the floorplan will work out great for us! This forum (and North Trailers) has been very helpful, and honestly played into the decisionmaking process. I don't believe any other manufacturer forum has as many excited/energized customers!

I don't believe there's any real contest between North Trail and the other ultralights on balance of price, features, and quality/construction. Some others are on par quality-wise but no better; some look like pure junk!

Couple of questions...

Any advice on what to look for on PDI. We've got the basic list, anything North Trail specific. Have seen some threads on water tank venting, brake wires, front cap, etc... any others? This unit was invoiced on 9/22 so it has all the new updates (diamond plate, gas/elec WH, etc... it's even decorated in the new Coffee color!). Hopefully some of these common issues have been corrected too.

Second, have read the mixed reviews on Lakeshore. I am in the position where they are (almost) my closest dealer, so I will be able to utilize their service facility. Any tips for dealing with them as I close the deal? Weird surprises? Everything will be done in person. Their price was outstanding...guess some of that is due to it being November. I wonder if it's right to go ahead with this now, but the dealers would have wintered it on the lot by spring if we bought then anyway and there would be more buyers competing by then so prices will probably be higher... I have actually enjoyed the sales process so far; it's pretty no-nonsense.

Also, what are the opinions of what to do for winter storage? My plan is to go through a full PDI then have the dealer re-winterize and bring home for storage. I have always winterized and stored my other trailer indoors, but that facility will be full so I may have to store it at home outdoors. Any advice about outdoor winter storage?

Looking forward to enjoying our new trailer when the time comes and also looking forward to joining into the forum as we start our ownership experience!

heat some water

Test the oven, heat some water in the microwave. Ours acted like it would if it was to work, but when we got out on our first trip that we needed the oven nothing heated up. :eek:

irvin56

Welcome aboard

we bought one also love it and this forum was also the reason we chose to buy heartland product.

As far as storage, I've never stored inside, any units I have owned( over 30 yrs) Just put wood under tires to sit on. So they don't sink into ground.
I've never covered my tires or trailer. BUT I have always left trailer OFF level
front to back and side to side, For water and snow to run off.

I have also always put my jack down to stablize tt, for loading, unloading and IF during storage you need to go into unit. Also if tire looses air, the jacks will take some weight off the other tire and axle. JUST my way, not the right way(if there is one)

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Storing a trailer outside during the winter should not be a problem, although you can get storage indoors at the fairgrounds - so much/ft.

If you do not have the space at your residence to store it, you may want to look at the storage lot next to Sanford Lake Bar & Grill - that's where we store ours for $200/year. It is fenced and locked and you will have your own key. Owners live next the the B & G (Howard and Barbara Schoenherr).

There's another storage lot just west of Old Oaks Trail on Saginaw Rd - blacktopped and fenced - no idea of what the charge is there.

Glad to see you in the Heartland family. Please consider the big rally in Goshen in June as well as the regional/state rallies in Ontario in July, Ludington and St. Ignace in August and September - loads of fun.

Fellow Midlanders