24" Refer cabinet

davelinde

There is a very nice 24" high cabinet above our refrigerator. Unfortunately the cabinet has 4 1/2" of space below the front edge, you must lift items over the front edge then they disappear below the lip. Since the cabinet is so high you cannot easily look down to see what's lost in there. Just as bad, to get anything out you must lift it (and everything on top of it) up 4 1/2" to clear the lip...

DW is griping about it. I'm not sure if there is any easy fix? Ideas welcomed.

jimtoo

A couple of 2X4's on edge with a piece of 1/2" plywood sanded and painted to raise bottom up. Would bring it to about 1" from edge. That way you would not have anything sliding out on you when you open it up after a location change.

davelinde

A couple of 2X4's on edge with a piece of 1/2" plywood sanded and painted to raise bottom up. Would bring it to about 1" from edge.

...yes I suppose it would be better to lose the space than to fight with it. We are not close to filling the cabinet to the roof, so it's not that much of a loss.

2-by and 1/2" ply would hold a lot of weight up there! Probably more than we'd ever put there. So far I've done ok using 1" stock ripped to an actual dimension of 3/4"x3/4" under 4 edges of 1/4" luan for extra RV shelving.

I'm also contemplating putting a plastic tote in there which could be lifted out to search for items and repack. Then putting a shelf up 8-10" to allow the tote to go in/out with stuff in it while storing more items above. No matter how I do it I guess the configuration means I'm going to lose 4 1/2" of storage space somewhere.

jbeletti

Good ideas. I have also passed this to the plant for future consideration. Maybe they can come up with something better for future builds.

If this was mine, I think I'd store paper goods up there (paper towels, toilet paper, napkins, plates etc.).

Jim

davelinde

I have also passed this to the plant for future consideration. Maybe they can come up with something...

For a future factory build - the cabinet is set up with a 2" filler on top and a 6" filler on the bottom. Reverse it, then the dead space on the bottom would be more usable. I would NOT want to see it just blocked off. All RV storage space is precious and I am more annoyed by blocked off dead space than poorly configured accessible space.

and yes - since the cabinet is high we do tend to fill it with lighter items like paper goods and other light kitchen items.

bigredtruck

I have found that you can't have the 3210 without a step ladder! I lose everything in all the cupboards and I am 5'9". It's great to have so much storage but it's just all so tall! I use that cabinet for towels.