Removed by OP

danemayer

The short answer is you have NO protection from an open neutral. And voltage on one power leg can drop to around 40V while the other leg shoots up to 180V. Depends on what devices are on.

You can cause immediate damage to most electronics. In some cases, the damage might not show up as a failure for a while.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
At an upscale park in Canton Tx. we had an open neutral which resulted in over 240 volts in the under counter plug that we used for the coffee pot. Needless to say, we lost the coffee pot and several other items but the insurance company paid to replace everything. I had a light weight surge guard which did not survive either.

wdk450

What components in the fifth wheel are designed to prevent damage from an open neutral situation?
Which ones are automatically effected and should be checked first? I am using a cheap surge guard at the pedestal.

I just did a Google search for "RV's with EMS installed" - (EMS is the generic phrase for Electrical Management Systems) I got NO hits with brand names of RV's. I kinda think they are included in the million dollar mega coaches, though.

This is an argument to buy a USED coach where the previous owner has heard about EMS, disk brakes, Independent Suspension, Eternabond End Cap sealer tape, Air Ride suspension pinboxes, high quality tires, self deploying Halon fire extinguishers in the Ammonia refrigerator, etc., and has installed all of this stuff that the RV manufacturers chose not to.

Personally, I bought the Progressive EMS-HW50C for about $400 and installed it myself. Over the years I have had 1 case of false voltage (256 volts indicated on a single phase 120 volt 30 amp service). They sent me a new PC board and I installed it. I have had it trip off during lightning storms, and at bad park outlet sites. I have encountered NO damaged electrical equipment in that time.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I ran across two campground pedestals where I had issues with open neutral. Both times the pedestal was at fault and my
Progressive EMS prevented power into the RV and any damage from occurring. Was worth the investment. Did not have to mess with insurance or damage etc.

I have had numerous other issues detected with pedestal power issues all prevented by the ems from causing damage and the ems still working well.