Electrical Outlet Problem - Solved

NH-Duck

I recently ran into an issue where all of the non-GFI outlets in my camper stopped working. After some (okay a lot) of trouble shooting I found the problem and thought I would share it here.

I first noticed I had no power to the refrigerator in the outside kitchen so I got out the multi- meter and discovered I had voltage in all the outlets labeled "GFI" but no voltage in any of the non-GFI outlets. Assuming a bad connection somewhere, I began checking continuity between all of the non-GFI outlets which I had so this led me to the panel. My electrical panel does not include a separate circuit breaker labeled for the outlets however I did notice one breaker was double tapped using a pig tail connection. Turns out the factory connected these outlets to the same breaker as the power converter which is where the problem started. The power converter uses aluminum wire which will cause the copper wire from the outlets to oxidize when connected together. I cleaned up the end of copper wire and connected it directly to the circuit breaker and power returned to all the outlets.

The factory used a compound such as Noalox in the wire nut to try and prevent oxidization of the copper conductor however it did not perform very well. It appeared there was more of it on plastic portion of the wire nut then actually in the connection which could have contributed to the problem. A more permanent solution is either use a special termination like "Alumiconn" to connect the aluminum and copper wires together or to add a separate branch circuit breaker if you have space in the panel.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue but I hopefully this helps if you do.

danemayer

Hi NH-Duck,

Are you the first owner of this trailer? I'm asking because I'm surprised to hear that the factory used aluminum wire in anything. Never heard of that before.

If you are the first owner, I'd be more inclined to believe that your dealer had to address a problem and put in aluminum wire. Perhaps before you bought the trailer.

NH-Duck

Yes I have owned this trailer since it was new and have not had any electrical work done by the dealer. The wire in question comes directly from the power converter and is factory installed as shown on the attached diagram from WFCO. The WFCO manual says this pigtail can be used to power another circuit if necessary so perhaps this connection is not typically made. I intend to install a separate breaker and get rid of this pigtail connection to avoid any future issues and get some piece of mind.

Capture.JPG

Hi NH-Duck,

Are you the first owner of this trailer? I'm asking because I'm surprised to hear that the factory used aluminum wire in anything. Never heard of that before.

If you are the first owner, I'd be more inclined to believe that your dealer had to address a problem and put in aluminum wire. Perhaps before you bought the trailer.