Progressive Industries 50 AMP hard wired EMS install

jweikel

I have a question on where to intercept the power and insert the EMS. I have a Bighorn 3160EL with power cord reel in the rear of the 5th wheel and also have the generator prep so there is a transfer switch to think about. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

danemayer

If you locate it in between the transfer switch and the main circuit breaker panel, it will protect against problems in the transfer switch and earlier in the circuit. If you pull out the main breaker panel (with power disconnected) you may find space to install it back there.

porthole

Retired
When I installed mine it was between the transfer switch and main panel. There was sufficient wire in the trailer that I was able to cut and insert the EMS.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine is in between the line from the power cord real and the first Transfer switch. This protects me from any shore power issues. My Generator and full coach Invertor is after it So no protection for those power sources . I do not foresee any issues from those sources, but If You install It before the panel and after the transfer switch you will be better protected.. I would pull the wire out of the the transfer switch and run it into the OUT on the EMS then get a 3' or 4' wire from Home depot and run it from transfer switch to it in on the EMS.. This way you can always put it right back to the way it was if needed to remove EMS to sell the RV or If you have a problem with the EMS like I had earlier this year and need to bypass it until they send you a new one..

Hope this helps

Jerrod

LBR

I installed ours after the shore/genny transfer switch, but before the full house inverter switch.

avvidclif

Mine is installed in the line feeding the transfer switch. That is where they recommended. The genny has it's own protection circuits.

CDN

B and B
I am with Jesstruckin,

I put it between the cord reel and the transfer switch because my 4 kW generator does cause a chatter of the progressive EMS relays when I fire up the second AC.

I installed a second power inlet on the front of the trailer. I use a short cord to run my 4 kW Powerhouse generator I keep in the front of my truck.

Brian

orion7144

With some of the inverter generators the EMS will shut down so I put mine before the transfer switch.