Virginia RV'ing

Sam Marcum

North Trails Owner
Our favorite campgrounds and camp sites in Virginia.

Virginia Beach: Holiday Trav-L Park, Green Acres, Site 228 None

Staunton / Stuart's Draft: Walnut Hills Campgrounds, Site 111 :)

Westmoreland State Park: Elect & Water Site Be17 in Campground B

Last edited:

racermom

To add to the Favorites

Even before we had the camper we loved the stay at Douthat State Park outside of Lexington, VA in Millsboro. Just beware, you will have a tough time getting anything over 30ft around the trees into their nice spacious sites. We still go to Douthat, but only when we want to "rough it". Great Views, nice hiking trails and wonderful staff. Have never had a bad experience.

Our second favorite is James River State Park in Gladstone, VA. This is a newer park, again with great views and nice trails. This park you actually don't have any trouble getting a 40ft camper in there. You will truly enjoy yourself. We are heading there this weekend to get in 1 more trip before we get bogged down with the holidays that are fastly approaching.

DntDctr

We like Jellstone in Luray. I guess its because its well kept and out 21mth old son has a lot of stuff to do there. Also, they enforce the quiet hours quite well. We also like Small Country Campground in Louisa. That's more of a party atmoshpere and they're pretty lenient on the rules. They usually have a good live band on Saturday nights.
Paul

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Our favorite campgrounds and camp sites in Virginia.

Virginia Beach: Holiday Trav-L Park, Green Acres, Site 228 None

Staunton / Stuart's Draft: Walnut Hills Campgrounds, Site 111 :)

Westmoreland State Park: Elect & Water Site Be17 in Campground B

In VB, I prefer the Good Sam Park across the street. The people at the Holiday are different between the summer and off season.

Another great Jellystone is Yogi Bear's in Natural Bridge, VA. It's also on the James River, with lots of kids stuff and water tubing on the river. Campsites were roomy in the upper section of the park, I guess that's true in lower section nearer the river, but double check.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I agree with Holiday Travel Park in Virginia Beach. I think we have 4 different weekend scheduled there this year, the first being June 11 - 14.

We also love Chippokes Plantation State Park in Surry. Great sites in the B loop and a fantastic swimming pool. Also plenty of history on the grounds and in the surrounding area. In fact, I love it so much, I think I'll head out there tomorrow for the Memorial Day weekend!!!

I gotta go camping. Having withdrawal symptons!!:eek:

enthuz

I must say it is one of the cleanest parks (non State Park) I've seen. I just don't like the one car at site rule, but it isn't a deal breaker.

I'm supposed to be sleeping in today, but DW and her twin are up talking for the past several hours!

KOA Lurray is my stop in June for Father's Day. I've gone camping every week this month. I've caught the RV bug and refuse to let it go!

Erma

In VB, I prefer the Good Sam Park across the street. The people at the Holiday are different between the summer and off season.
We stay at North Bayshore Campground in Sandbridge. Close to the ocean and on the Back Bay where the wildlife preserve is! There's nothing like waking up and watching the beautiful Egrets and Cranes in the morning.;)

Jim & Harriet

Campground Gem

for anyone who wants to "get away" and enjoy some quiet time i can suggest just the campground. http://www.friesrvpark.com

located off of I-77 (near exit #80 off of I-81) this is a 12 site cg that is within easy walking distance to the new river state park and trail. all sites are level, have full hook-up with 20, 30 or 50 amp service, and include cable and wifi (both with excellent connections.) all for $32/night including tax.

each site looks toward a small stream and has its own picnic area with table and lawn space. the owners keep everything very well maintained. there is room for small and large 5th wheels. we have a 2009 sundance 3300sk and had more than enough space.

there is no pool or arcade - but with the trail so close to the cg - we just brought chairs, books and a lunch and spent the afternoon under the hugh shade trees. there is access for kayaks, tubes, etc.

we liked it very much and plan to go back soon.

Last edited by a moderator: