New Mallard M26 Owner

Woody2411

Hello everyone. I am new to the group and just bought my first camper this week. Bought a 2020 Heartland Mallard M26. As a first time owner, any advice at all would be much appreciated.

danemayer

Re: New RV Owner

Hi Woody2411,

Congratulations on your new Mallard and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

2 suggestions:

First, check out our Owners Club at this link, and look over the EVENTS tab near top of page to find rallies near you. You can join the Owners Club for free and get into local rallies anywhere in the U.S. or Canada where you'll have a great time and make bunches of new friends.

Second, look over our collection of owner-written user guides at this link. Our user guides fill in the blanks and answer questions you may not have even thought of yet.

I've moved the thread into the Mallard area.

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig! Don't be afraid to ask questions... there are a lot of people here that have a wealth of knowledge to share and don't mind helping.

Woody2411

Any NECESSITIES I’m missing as far as set up? Got wheel chocks, sewer hoses, water hose, dump tank, water pressure regulator, surge suppressor, and poop tank chems.

Kbvols

I would recommend some leveling type boards or plastic levelers whichever you prefer and of course some type leveling device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GK2018

I would recommend one or two dehumidifiers. We run two in ours, one in the living area and one in the bathroom. That humidity can definitely cause some problems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NP_Chief

There are several videos on Youtube referencing "must have" RV accessories. I agree with some of them... when you have some time and a few trips under your belt, you will figure out what works best for you. I would recommend staying close to home on the first trip (maybe even spend the weekend in the camper in the driveway), that way you will know what is a "must have" for your rig and your family.

Woody2411

There are several videos on Youtube referencing "must have" RV accessories. I agree with some of them... when you have some time and a few trips under your belt, you will figure out what works best for you. I would recommend staying close to home on the first trip (maybe even spend the weekend in the camper in the driveway), that way you will know what is a "must have" for your rig and your family.

Thank you. I plan on taking it to the campground about a mile from my house this weekend. Wanted to stay close to town in case I need anything. After that it’ll be parked until my Memorial Day vacation. I’ll definitely look up some of those videos.

Woody2411

Question...I’m buying a power jack to install myself. Do I need a jack to support the tongue while I swap them or can I use the electric stabilizing braces?

GK2018

Question...I’m buying a power jack to install myself. Do I need a jack to support the tongue while I swap them or can I use the electric stabilizing braces?
You'll need to brace the tongue when you do it, the stabilzer braces arent designed to hold the weight of the camper. The weight could bend them or hurt the gear boxes.

GK2018

Any suggestions for backup cameras for the prewired system?
I'm not too familiar with the backup cameras I've kind of looked at them but you could take a look at a Garmin backup camera/GPS combo it's quite a bit cheaper than the Furrion backup camera.

Woody2411

So before I bought this trailer most of the reviews were outstanding. Now that I have it, most of the reviews are really bad. Starting to get scared. Is it because nobody reviews unless things go wrong or do these Mallards really “leak like a sieve?”

BLR

So before I bought this trailer most of the reviews were outstanding. Now that I have it, most of the reviews are really bad. Starting to get scared. Is it because nobody reviews unless things go wrong or do these Mallards really “leak like a sieve?”
I find people that are happy or have very little issues don't write reviews. We didn't write a review.

We have a 2017 Cyclone 4018 and have had very few issues. The main one was with the slide and we got it fixed.

We have lived in it for almost 2 years full time.

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

GK2018

Weve lived full time in our Mallard M33 for a little over a year and it had horrible reviews which I knew going into it, but I figured as long as I give the thing a good look over during the pre-inspection then just shy of an appliance going out which wouldnt be Heartlands fault we should be ok and well long story short it has been the best purchase we've made next to our Ram 2500. We had a slide issue that Heartland fixed without a hiccup and we had a water leak due to lack of caulk by the tank flush when it rained but that was an easy fix and really just routine maintenance but ours has been absolutely amazing!

NP_Chief

BLR is right... in general, people that are satisfied hardly ever speak up until something goes wrong. That's why it is easier to find negative reviews.

danemayer

With forums and social media, when an original poster writes about a problem, he may get 3, or 5, or 10, or 50 replies. Then when your search pulls up that original problem, it also displays all of the replies. The result is one problem can generate multiple pages of results from the search engine. So not only are you looking at "squeaky wheel" posts, you'll seeing them through a multiplication lens of the search engines.