Big Horn / Big Country

CrazyScotsman

Hello all, I am new to this forum, and I have a couple of questions for all you people in the know, reference the difference in the Big Horn, and Big Country.
My wife and I started looking at fivers a couple of weeks ago, we really liked the Landmark, but a little bit high priced for our first rv. We also looked at the Big Country, it seemed an OK coach, but I just don't like the looks of the back end of it.
We have not yet been to a dealer that sells the Big Horn, but what we have seen on the Heartland web site, it looks like an very nice rv, plus in the price range we are willing to spend.
My questions are.
#1 Is the only difference apart from lengths between the BH and the BC , is the rear end ?

#2 Is the quality of the interior & exterior of the BH better than the BC ?

Thank you all in advance for your replies. Ken.

PS . We really like the looks of the interior on the BH 3600RE

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Crazy,
Welcome to the forum. I can tell you that the Bighorn is a great unit and the 3600RL is a super floorplan. From what you have already gathered the Big Country does not have the nice fiberglass rear cap like the Bighorn. It really makes a difference in the way it looks that's for sure. Whichever way you decide to go ther is one thing for sure, you will get the best value for your money with Heartland. We are on our second unit with them and we are very satisified.
I am sure others will weigh in and you will find tons of information here on the forum.

Just found this thread it will help you with comparing //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5784&highlight=differences+between+bighorn+big+country

Good luck,
Mark

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here is a word doc listing the differences. There may have been some changes since.

Attachments

• Bighorn upgrades from Big Country.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 76

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I found an old thread with differences listed. There have probably been some changes since this came out, but it would give you a starting place.

Big Horn vs Big Country

Ray- you beat me to the one I was first looking for! :D

Kristy

Jim & Harriet

Check the Sundance Option

hi scotsman,
i know this is the bh/bc thread and we looked at the bh,bc and landmark also (along with other brands.) we found that the heartland quality is hard to match.
for many reasons we decided we really did not want to go with a 5th wheel any longer than 34-36 ft. but still wanted a side bath, good storage and lots of counter-top kitchen space and cabinets. found the mid-profile sundance fit what we needed and had a lower price tag with no loss of quality. as of last weekend we are the owners of a new 34' sundance 3300sk.None
while you are searching, you might want to look at sundance also. just a thought...

CrazyScotsman

Thank you all very much for the replies. Mark & Ray these links from previous posts were very helpful, thank you.
HLJRD1111, I appreciate your input to, but we are leaning more towards the Big Horn, but thank you anyway.
It'll probably be February / March time frame when we are going to buy. That is if we all still have a job by then, the way this economy is going it is enough to make you worry. DW say's if it gets anyworse we will pack our bags and head back home to the UK, but things are not any better there either at this time.
Once again thank you for all your input, and I'll keep doing my homework, to see what we are going to buy.
Thanks ... Ken

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ken, By the way, I spent 2 years in Scotland while in the Navy. 1970-71. Dunoon, Argyll, Sandbank. Made a few trips to Glasgow too. I even knew a few Crazy Scotsmen.

azbound

If and when you decide to purchase a 5ver, do your home work on the Tow Vehicle. There is nothing worse than having to deal with an undersized TV.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

CrazyScotsman

Ray..... I never did spend much time in the places you named, but my daughter who just got back from Scotland a couple of months ago, really liked Glasgow, she was there for a year at Stirling uni, getting her masters degree. My mum really enjoyed having her grand daughter stay with her for 6 months out of the year. I am from the East coast of Scotland, about 45 minutes North of Edinburgh, and about 5 miles from St Andrews the home of golf.

azbound... Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I have to worry about a tow vehicle, I have a 2005 Ford F350 King Ranch crew cab DRW, with the power stroke diesel.

If this is a double post please excuse me, I posted earlier and I think it disapeared into cyber space.
I had never seen a Big Horn on the road til today, I saw 2, one going south on hwy 69 in OK, and the other going west on I 44 in MO. plus 3 Cyclones.

Cheers ....Ken...

azbound

Ray..... I never did spend much time in the places you named, but my daughter who just got back from Scotland a couple of months ago, really liked Glasgow, she was there for a year at Stirling uni, getting her masters degree. My mum really enjoyed having her grand daughter stay with her for 6 months out of the year. I am from the East coast of Scotland, about 45 minutes North of Edinburgh, and about 5 miles from St Andrews the home of golf.

azbound... Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I have to worry about a tow vehicle, I have a 2005 Ford F350 King Ranch crew cab DRW, with the power stroke diesel.

If this is a double post please excuse me, I posted earlier and I think it disapeared into cyber space.
I had never seen a Big Horn on the road til today, I saw 2, one going

south on hwy 69 in OK, and the other going west on I 44 in MO. plus 3 Cyclones.

Cheers ....Ken...

You appear to ready to tow about anything,, Good choices

CrazyScotsman

Thank you Mountainlovers76. I appreciate your input.

Maybe the wife and I will go look at one this weekend, that is if she doesn't have a " Honey Do " list for me.

Thanks again. Ken

Jburks

Scotsman, The Camping World in Strafford has several in stock to tempt you with, they have a few BH/BC's in stock for your viewing pleasure.

Tom Cobb

I recently bought a BC because it had the floorplan we liked and was the length we could park in the space we have. The features and quality are more than you could ask for at the price. We got a really good price since the rv market is ready to move the units.

In my view either unit is a good buy it just depends on your budget and what floorplan you want.

CrazyScotsman

Jburks. We were out at Camping World in Strafford a few weeks ago, and they only had the Landmark and Big Country, but I'll check their web site tonight to see if they have got any Big Horn's in.

Tom Cobb.. You are so right about the RV market wanting to move inventory, problem is I am not ready to buy for at least 3 more months. I want to get the DW car paid off first before I take on anymore debt, especially in these unpredictable economic times.

Thank you both. .... Ken

Jburks

Check out www.kriswillisrv.com in Poplar Bluff, he always seems to have a pretty good selection, we bought our Sundance there, he also carries Big Country, there is another one in Dexter (Kerry RV), Willis is family owned and operated. When you get ready he would be worth checking out.

CrazyScotsman

We finally got to go yesterday and see some Big Horn 5ers. Wife and I drove down to Arkansas. we made the mistake of taking our Yorkie terrier pups with us, they done great untill we got onto the twisty turny roads, then it was all over, the poor wee things couldn't keep anything down. I had to pull over 3 times to clean up the mess on my leather seats. poor wee things.
Anyhoo we got to the dealer ( Great Escapes RV ) it was bloody freezing I froze my arse off. We looked at a few BH and a couple of Landmarks. The 3600RE we went to see had been sold, and pulled of the lot about 15 minutes before we got there. The DW & I looked at the 3580 RL, and we both really liked it, so that may be the model we eventually buy. We were on the lot probably no more than an hour, we had to leave and get back to town ( almost a 3 hour drive ) and go to an engagement party for my DW's best friends daughter. So not a lot of time looking.
The folks that bought the 3600RE were from SD I think they said, and there was another couple from Kansas there buying.
Dave ( I think he's the owner ) at Great Escapes was extremely helpfull even though he was very busy. DW wife who normally would give a pushy salesman a hard time remarked how Dave would be easy to work with.
Anyhoo it's snowing here in lovely Springfield MO.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday, I've got 2 more days off Yesssssssss
All the best , cheers Ken..
British by Birth, Scottish by the Grace of God.

jbeletti

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear about your little guys. It will get better. Yorkies are great travel companions and RVers! We have two :)

Glad you got to see a couple of Bighorns. The 3580RL that you like is the BH version of the Landmark I have (Pinehurst). We love the floor plan.

Near Springfield in Strafford is Camping World. They are also a Heartland dealer and carry a fairly full line. May be another place for you to see other models.

Best of luck and we hope you end up joining the family! Take delivery by June and join us for the big shin dig in Goshen, Indiana mid-June.

Jim

cowsrout

Hey Crazy Scotsman,
We too went to Stafford to look at Big Countries and Big Horns at camping world. No Big Horns on their lot. We ended up driving to Perryville, Mo to look at Big Horns. Took us about 4 hours from Springfield, should of taken 3 hours and 16 minutes according to map quest - but traveled with a 3 week old and an 18 month old! Takes longer when they get car sick! The dealer there has a few on his lot. Nice man, prices are good. Email me at kjcowsrout@gmail.com if you want more information. He has a 3670 on his lot and a few others. I don't believe he has a 3580 though. My understanding is the Big Countries are going to have the same back end in 2010 as the Big Horns. A few dealers were going to "throw that in" for us, when in reality that is a 2010 change from the facotory - the way we understand it. I have a list of the changes for the big countries for 2010.
Maybe we'll see you around Springfield!
Karen
cowsrout

Last edited:

CrazyScotsman

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear about your little guys. It will get better. Yorkies are great travel companions and RVers! We have two :)

Glad you got to see a couple of Bighorns. The 3580RL that you like is the BH version of the Landmark I have (Pinehurst). We love the floor plan.

Near Springfield in Strafford is Camping World. They are also a Heartland dealer and carry a fairly full line. May be another place for you to see other models.

Best of luck and we hope you end up joining the family! Take delivery by June and join us for the big shin dig in Goshen, Indiana mid-June.

Hi Jim. These Yorkies are the best, we got them back in July, it took 2 wee dogs to replace our Corgi that we had for 14 years.
Camping World in Strafford only carry the BC, Landmark and Sundance in the Heartland line, wish they did carry the BH.
Hopefully we wil have a BH long before June, if my DW will let me get money out of savings. She is the kind that listens to all the doom and gloom the media puts out about how we are knocking on the doors of the next great depression. Heck I say spend it and lets get the economy going. LOL ( strange to hear a Scotsman say " SPEND ". )

All the best.. Ken
British by Birth, Scottish by the Grace of God.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon7.gif