Control panel questions

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
This will probably sound a little dumb, but I have yet to figure a few things out with regards to my control panel switches. First off, why are there two thermostat controls? I've only needed to use the bottom one.
http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thermostatvm6.jpg

Second, on the meter panel, there's a "heater" switch. What heater is it referring to? What is it heating? Is it for the water tank when there's no propane? It's the bottom button on the right.

And lastly, there is a switch with no label on it. What is it for? It's the one on the far left.

Anyway, it's been bothering me so I just thought I would ask you guys. Thanks a bunch!!:)

jnbhobe

control panel

Wild Bill; Lets see if I can help. The bottom theromstat is for the heat and AC, the top one is for the Fantastic fan in the kitchen,you set it for the tempeture you want it to come on at, it will open and start at that temp.
It will also close automaticly if it rains and will start when it dries out ( I think). On the monitor panel that switch is for the propane hot water tank, When you turn it on the red dot beside it will come on when it goes out the hot water tank is lit (you sould be able to hear it or go outside and open the cover to see)MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WATER IN THE TANK AND THE PROPANE TURNED ON. As far as the other three switches the red one is the electric hot water tank (REMEMBER WATER) The other two one is the fan in the living room and the other is the receptical by the front awning rail. Hope this helps Jon!;);)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Good explanation by jnphobe. I would add one thing. The hot water switch on the monitor panel, we only use it when we need hot water faster. It costs us to use propane. If we are using electric we only use the red switch. Why pay twice for heating the water.

The thermostat for the Fantastic fan works a bit backwards from what we are use to. If you move it all the way up to the higher temp, 90* or so, it will close the fan. if you move it to a lower temp the fan cover will start to open. Had the fantastic fan come on one day and was wondering why. Looked a the thermostat and it was set for about 78*. A/C was on and the fan came on.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
On our 3370, we have switches for the outside scare lights. both door side and off door side, the upper porch light above the door and another switch for the outlet up high under the awning. Also the red switch for the HWH. It helps to have someone outside when your flipping the switches. Took us awhile to figure them out as well. :)

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
Thanks so much for the explanation. I tried to look in my owners manual but it really didn't explain it.

jhflying

What if you have the propane water heater switch and the electric water heater switch both on? Does it heat the water twice as fast? Or does one take priority over the over?

Also, can you leave the switches on for an extended period? Or should you just turn them on when you need hot water (or an hour before)?

Thanks,
John

Confused

Now I am confused. There is a rocker on/off black switch at the water heater (inside the exterior access panel) and another on/off switch at the inside control panel.

I thought you used the on/off black rocker (exterior panel) if you are on propane and the inside switch if you are using electric.

Right/Wrong???????????? If wrong please correct me - what/when/how to use these two hot water switches.

jimtoo

The switch outside on the waterheater itself should be left in the on position. The switch inside will then take it's place for your convenience, so you don't have to go outside to put W/H on electric.

Jim M

jbeletti

John,

Yes, it's okay to use both AC and Propane at the same time. It does give you a fast heating cycle and quicker recovery. Good for back to back to back to back showers for example.

As a practical matter though, I'd use one method except when I needed that quick recovery.

Jim