Ceiling lights in our 2018 Pioneer RG28

WShew

My wife and I are new to the forum. We have a 2018 Pioneer RG28. Four of our ceiling lights have gone bad. Flashing like disco lights. They aren't the kind you can replace a bulb and they are fixed. The incoming wires are soldered in place. I've been to several RV service/parts stores without success. Is there a replacement light for these and is it a job I can handle.

danemayer

Hi WShew,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. The parts department can probably get you new lights.

Before talking with the part dep't, you might also discuss with Customer Service the fact that 4 lights have the same odd failure. It suggests that there may be a bad batch of these lights and perhaps they will send you lights at no charge, as a goodwill gesture, even if out of warranty.

It's possible the wires from the fixture have butt splices that are crimped. You'd have to cut the wire (based on length, decide which side of the crimp to cut), and put in new butt splices. The splices and crimping tool should be available as a relatively inexpensive kit from most big box hardware stores. Nowadays I use Wago Lever Connectors to join wires. They require no tools and you can undo your work by lifting the lever. With LED lights, sometimes polarity matters, so whatever you use, you'll want to test the light before finalizing your work.

WShew

Hi WShew,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. The parts department can probably get you new lights.

Before talking with the part dep't, you might also discuss with Customer Service the fact that 4 lights have the same odd failure. It suggests that there may be a bad batch of these lights and perhaps they will send you lights at no charge, as a goodwill gesture, even if out of warranty.

It's possible the wires from the fixture have butt splices that are crimped. You'd have to cut the wire (based on length, decide which side of the crimp to cut), and put in new butt splices. The splices and crimping tool should be available as a relatively inexpensive kit from most big box hardware stores. Nowadays I use Wago Lever Connectors to join wires. They require no tools and you can undo your work by lifting the lever. With LED lights, sometimes polarity matters, so whatever you use, you'll want to test the light before finalizing your work.

Thank you for your suggestions. We'll start calling tomorrow!

jerryjay11

You probably have the same light fixtures as we do and I have had to replace 3 so far. I ended up purchasing my own since my warranty was out and I did find the exact replacement on ebay (super cheap) by searching the part number that can be found when you remove the lens. Four screws and cut the wires to splice in another. When reinstalling the screws I used plastic inserts because the ceiling material doesn't hold up well when attempting to tighten the screws.

WShew

Thank you for all the help!
The lights we ordered did the trick. It's so nice to have our lights back. We had lost 4.
Thanks again for all your help!

Re: Ceiling lights in our 2018 Pioneer

20200408_132139.jpg
You probably have the same light fixtures as we do and I have had to replace 3 so far. I ended up purchasing my own since my warranty was out and I did find the exact replacement on ebay (super cheap) by searching the part number that can be found when you remove the lens. Four screws and cut the wires to splice in another. When reinstalling the screws I used plastic inserts because the ceiling material doesn't hold up well when attempting to tighten the screws.

Hi. I have the same "puck" lights in my Pioneer. I would like to replace mine with ones I found that have a switch on them. Sometimes when I switch on the lights it's just too bright and would like to be able to turn off some of them.

My problem. I don't know how to take out the old ones. I tried turning them but they don's spin. I'm afraid to pull on them hard and break something.

How did you remove the lights?

Thanks

Last edited:

Bogie

I can't say exactly what your lights look like. But, if they are like the ones on my Sundance, the lens can be popped off. Then you have to remove a few screws to take down the light.

danemayer

One type has folding springs that hold it in place. With this type, you pull down just enough to get your fingers in so you can fold the springs in order to pull the fixture completely out of the ceiling.

mwc

My 2018 Cyclone had the same issue, same lights. Called Heartland and they sent me enough to replace them all. There was a bad batch from the company. I actually had also called the company that made them and they sent me replacements as well. I have replaced at least a dozen so far. I replace them as they go out, just did another a week ago. I just replace the led part, clip the black and white wire, use crimp on wire connectors and put the new led on.

Re: Ceiling lights in our 2018 Pioneer

View attachment 63972

Hi. I have the same "puck" lights in my Pioneer. I would like to replace mine with ones I found that have a switch on them. Sometimes when I switch on the lights it's just too bright and would like to be able to turn off some of them.

My problem. I don't know how to take out the old ones. I tried turning them but they don's spin. I'm afraid to pull on them hard and break something.

How did you remove the lights?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for suggestions. It turns out they do twist off. I had to put on latex gloves to get a good grip. For those who are interested, I took a picture of the light showing the part number / brand.

20200409_121501.jpg20200409_121743.jpg