Big Horn questions

We are about 18 months from starting our new life full-timing. We have looked and compared and analyzed for about a year and believe the Big Horn is the one for us. We like the 3055 but love the 3400 RL. We are wondering if experienced travelers have found significant limitations in the longer 5th wheels.
Also, in the 3400, or any longer rig, is a second sir conditioner really necessary?
We are very excited about our adventure and are trying to make educated decisions.
Thanks!

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Tom and Penny
We have a 3055rl. We really still love it. Cons on a longer unit: Have to make sure there is room to park it and turn it around when you want to go shopping while traveling down the road. DW hates to miss a quilt shop!! Pro's: love the room and comfort.
We had a 23 1/2 foot 5th for 8 years. It worked very well for us. We could go into just about any parking lot and get back out. Changed units because it we time to step up.

Tom of Ypsi

TomandPenny,

Welcome to the forum and hope you do end up with a Heartland product. We do not own a BH but we do own a Landmark that comes in sizes bigger than what you are interested in. With that being said we have run into size limitations at mostly state parks. A 3400 RL would probably have worked but not anything longer. A second air conditioner is not really necessary if you travel in the north during the summer and the south during the winter. We have two ac's and have run both on occassion but not more than a couple of days on end.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom & Penny, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. We have a 3400RL and love it. We went from a 30ft. 5th wheel to the Bighorn and have had no issues. Any time we make reservations we always tell them we have a 37ft 5th wheel. Ours is a 2007 and the changes to the newer units are great improvements. We have one A/C unit and a Fantastic fan in the bedroom. We have not needed the 2nd a/c but there were a couple times it would have helped. I suppose if I had it to do over again, I would get the 2nd a/c. We also are full time and have a 60# Golden Retriever that shares the house. Plenty of room. Enjoy!

cliffbuilt

Tom & Penny
After owning a 40' alfa gold, & 2- 26' fleetwoods all 5er's, shorter is easier to manuver but longer is definitely more comfortable, that said we've settled on a 2950 rk Big Country, the slide outs make these mid length rigs pretty comfortable with out sacrificing parking & manuvering.
The A.C. question would depend on location during summer months, here in Oregon we have yet to try ours except for testing at delivery.
We are very happy with Heartland & would buy again, good luck & happy camping

Cliff

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom and Penny, welcome to the Heartland family and forum. You will find lots and lots of information here. You didn't say if you have ever owned a 5th wheel before. You can get by very well with a 37ft coach and a 3055 is just about 34ft +or-. But you must remember that about 3ft of a 5th wheel is inside the bed of the TV (tow vehicle) while traveling. So what ever length you buy just subtract 3ft for the length. BTW, you don't comment about a TV. I would suggest at least a 3/4 tn and really think hard about getting a diesel, what ever brand. They pull great and get better mileage than a big gas engine. I really like my duramax/ allison combo in my Chebby but the other truck builders have good trucks too. Bob :D:D:eek:

geeksrus

We went with the 3400 primarily for the larger computer desk & the overall space. Took a while to get used to hauling/backing it as our previous 5er was 31'. Initial hauler was an F350 SW & since have upgrade to a Ram 3500 Dually.... handles much better now.

We have had the need for a second AC... of course we are in a cooler region during the summers.

Eh!

SmokeyBare

Tom & Penny,

Welcome ! Your going to love the 3400RL... should that be your decision. After we did the factory tour... we switched our first choice, a 3055 RL to the 3400 RL. I'm sure glad we did !!

We were towing a 31 foot (Some Other Brand) already... we had a list of items we wanted in our next NEW fifth wheel. One big item was room for two leather lazy boy chairs we have. After taking the tour... with tape measure and pen and pad of paper in hand... we knew we would need to upgrade to the 3400 RL.

We've camped in Army Corp parks as well as a few State parks and National Forest parks... I've not found a problem getting into most places with our BigHorn. Today many of these parks have an on line registration that tells you what length of RV will fit on their sites. I've found for the most part they are pretty accurate too.

This year was our first time we stayed South for the summer. We've been in Tennessee and are still in Georgia. Not the Hottest locations but it was warm... We only have one A/C. That one A/C worked fine for us... although we made sure our BigHorn would be ready for a second A/C if we decided to up-grade. That gave us the wiring, framing and large enough electrical panel to handle the load.

Good Luck with your choice of RV.... as well the next Adventure in your life !!

nemo45

We have an Open Road 357 which is basically the same floor plan as the Big Horn 3400 and we have been full-timing for 6 mo. now. My advice would be to get the 3400. The extra room is worth any problems you might have manuvering. Going down the road there's no appreciable difference. We especially like the desk area. As far as the second A/C we have two and when it gets about 95 deg. we run both during the day and the main unit at night since the bedroom A/C is very noisy. The single A/C just can't keep up when the temp approaches 100 deg. Also I don't know if the king size bed is standard or even available on the 3400, but we highly recommend that too.
When we purchased our Open Road in 2005 we wanted a Big Horn but just couldn't make a deal with the dealer in our area. Now with the demise of pilgrim International the dealer we purchased our Open Road from has picked up Hearland products, so far just the Sundance because that's where he figures the market is right now. But I can tell you in about two years, when we'll probably be in the market for a new unit, Big Horn will be at the top of our list. We have been to several RV shows since we purchaded our open road and are really impressed with the Big Horn.

Shadowchek

We also were torn between the 3055 and 3400rl. With the 3400 you gain the washer drier closet, the bedroom is larger, plenty of room to change clothes without bumping anything. The bedroom sink counter is a lot bigger. The living room space is also larger, the kitchen is about the same overall. Also your large slide out with the dining table, couch and large windows are on the side that your campsite is usually on. So you are looking over your campsite not your neibors. Our big problem was the length but we got a good deal on the 3400rl and have had it out on 5 trips now and the length hasn't been an issue. It pulls nicely you will be somewhat restricted on where you can go but you would be with the 3055 also. I am now glad that things worked out the way they did we love it. After saying all of that I would have been perfectly happy with the 3055 it is very nice and has everything you need justa little less space.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have the Bighorn 3400RE. We love the room and the large 42" TV. However if we were going to buy again today we would look at the 3410RE. It has the TV that comes up out of the cabinet in the back and gives you the large back window. Really cool.

If you plan to fulltime think about the room you would need to live in. 3 or 4 feet make the difference. We went from a 30' SOB to our 3400RE which is 37+ feet. Be sure you have a Tow Vehicle that is a Heavy 3/4 ton or a 1 ton.

Attachments

• BH3410RE Floorplan.JPG
    BH3410RE Floorplan.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 38

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
I've been looking myself and doing a lot of research as well. It's boiled down to the Montana 3665RE or the Bighorn 3670RL. I'm way leaning towards the Bighorn.

Woodwork looks great, storage is awesome, and I love that second counter!! Little touches like the roller-bearing drawer runners, stainless steel sink, real solid surface countertop all add up, I think. I do wish I could get the extended cabinet over the 'L' counter, but that's not a deal killer.

A not insignificant problem with the Montana is that it appears you can't get to the bedroom without sliding it out - implications for when you're on the road. In a tight parking spot. In a rainstorm. The Bighorn has full access to the bedroom, bathroom, (and looks like maybe the reefer, too, for the quick leftover bite on the road? - someone chime in, here...) - all with the slides in.

(Anyway - any mfr that is willing to put his face and name on the introductory video, crawling in and out of closets and storage space, gets my vote... :) )

Need for the second a/c depends on where you plan to be. I spent nine months on a contract in Houston - trust me, you needed all the a/c you could get (Houston is not called the 'Air Conditioning Capital of the World' for nothing.)

Up in Oregon - probably not so much.

I think a feature that is showing up that is worth considering is the dual pane windows. My understanding is they don't provide that much more thermal barrier (like residential windows do), but they do make things *much* quieter. (Until you open them, of course - I like to be in places where it's more comfortable to open them :) )

But, reports are they help a lot against condensation (which seems to suggest they provide some thermal protection...)

My 2c. Hope it works out well for you.

Thanks for the info

None
We appreciate your feedback and am looking forward to meeting some of you at The Rally in ABQ.

Did anyone consider a Hitchhiker in your research?

Just wondering!

Tom of Ypsi

Tom and Penny,

When we were looking for a new 5th wheel we did consider the Hitchhiker. We could not find a floor plan than we really liked. I would not consider a HH now as they are stopping production this month. You may be able to get really good deals on HH but you may not get any warranty work done. This is something to consider when looking at any new coach you are interested in.

jfrench

HH just went out. They shut down making any new units at this point. Its kind of a sad thing to see since they have been around so long. :(

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A not insignificant problem with the Montana is that it appears you can't get to the bedroom without sliding it out - implications for when you're on the road. In a tight parking spot. In a rainstorm. The Bighorn has full access to the bedroom, bathroom, (and looks like maybe the reefer, too, for the quick leftover bite on the road? - someone chime in, here...) - all with the slides in.

I was just in a 3670 this past weekend and you can get to the reefer without extending any slides - a BIG benefit over my current Sundance.

RVFun4Us

We have a 3055 we purchased last July. One of our considerations in determining the model to purchase was the overall length and the weights of both the various Big Horn models and our TV capacities. 2 to 3 feet longer makes a big difference when maneuvering in a tight spot. We decided the 3055 had everything we needed and have been very happy with it. A definite step up from our previous fifth wheel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rickbsgu, one other thing in comparing the Montana and Bighorn is that if you are taller, 6' or so your head will touch the ceiling in the Montana when you are near the front closet. I can walk all the way to the closet door in my Bighorn without contact. We absolutely love our Bighorn.
Peace
Dave

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Rickbsgu, one other thing in comparing the Montana and Bighorn is that if you are taller, 6' or so your head will touch the ceiling in the Montana when you are near the front closet. I can walk all the way to the closet door in my Bighorn without contact. We absolutely love our Bighorn.
Peace
Dave

Same here - I'm 6'4" and sleep on the closet side of the bed. No height problems with my unit.