Matching truck to trailer

DJBirk

Before ordering our 3055, the dealer said that we would have no clearance problems with either the f-250 or f-350 using any of the new Reese Signature hitches. I would like to believe him, but without actually backing one of these trucks under the king pin, whose to say? I do not want to buy an f-350 and have to flip the axles or make some other major adjustment. Any help for this first time 5er will be greatly appreciated. Lots of great info on this forum.Thanks Birk.

Cooper

I have an F250 4X4 crew cab short bed. I pull a 2006 Gloden Gate 36ft.
I also have a reese 16K pivot slider.
I have not used the slider part sense I bought the trailer. I dont think I can hit the cab at any angle. I have pulled my trailer approx. 16,000 miles. The trail-air hitch pin setup works great help remove a lot movement.

Scott

16,000 miles!

Have you really pulled your Landmark over 16,000 miles? That has to be the most I've heard yet out of any of our owners. Wow!

How has it been for you - in terms of towing and aerodynamics, etc.?

ST

DJBirk

Thanks Cooper, but my issue isn't turning angles,it's how the truck and trailer hook up; clearance between the top of the bed and the coach itself, using what specific hitch. When the 3055 is parked and level, what is the measurement between the coach and the ground and the king pin and the ground? I should have gotten this info at the show and the dealer doesn't have any Bighorns on the lot at this time.Birk.

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Birk, I do not have a Big Horn I have a Landmark but I do believe the height is the same. I have a 4x4, F-350, dually (see sig) and I have right around 7 inches of clearance. The Big Horn does not have the standard Trail Air hitch like the Landmark but I do not believe it will make a difference. Hope this helps. If truck shopping I would spend the extra few dollars and get the F-350 instead of the 250.

timk

DJBirk said:
Before ordering our 3055, the dealer said that we would have no clearance problems with either the f-250 or f-350 using any of the new Reese Signature hitches. I would like to believe him, but without actually backing one of these trucks under the king pin, whose to say? I do not want to buy an f-350 and have to flip the axles or make some other major adjustment. Any help for this first time 5er will be greatly appreciated. Lots of great info on this forum.Thanks Birk.

Birk,
We have a 3400rl and a stock Dodge 3500 4x4. No problems. Fit right on. I lowered the hitch as much as possible to level the rig, we have about 7-8".
TimK

phranc

Birk .We have a 3600 and the reese/Drawtite sigbature hitch.. Matched right up and I have about 8 or10 in between bedrail and fifth..Trl rides level. Distance from bed to top of hitch plate is 17 3/4 in..Dodge 4x4 SRW

Cooper

Scott said:
Have you really pulled your Landmark over 16,000 miles? That has to be the most I've heard yet out of any of our owners. Wow!

How has it been for you - in terms of towing and aerodynamics, etc.?

ST
I would say that's close.
I have had no real problems a couple molding, sealed the bottom of the shower door area and adjust the icebox door latch.
It pulls great behind my 2006 F250 Diesel 4X4 crewcab it gets from 10 to 13 mpg with no chip. Average mph 65 I carry about 80 gallons of fuel. My hitch is a 16k Reese 4 way Pivot Slider ( I have never had to use the slider). The trailer pulls great could not ask for it to be any better.

I would like to see a few changes in the docking station put the electrical above the water inlets, a deeper sewer hose compartment and a stronger rear stabilizer with more bracing.

Scott

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I love it when I hear stories like yours about the gas mileage that you get with the Landmark's aerodynamic cap - even with it's weight.

I know this isn't technically the place on this forum for this, but:
The electrical above the wate input has a been a common request, as people are concerned about water shorting out their system. The issue there is the water fill is a gravity fill and it needs to be up higher to still go into the tank ok - which limits us as to where we can arrange things in the docking center. But I will bring it up again with our engineers and challenge them to do it.
The sewer hose area has been a point of contention, as many people have ended up modifying their sewer hose "garage" to fit the newer, larger fittings that come on many of today's new hose designs.
We are working on something there as well.
When you say, "stronger rear stabilzer" - are you talking about the QuickDraw electric rear stabilizer jacks? Because I've never heard any complaints about those before. We did look at the big, hydraulic stabilizers that hang down just behind the axles, but they were cumbersome, hung very, very low (bad ground clearance) - and were expensive. We build one proto with them, test marketed it, and stuck with what we had.

FYI

ST

Cooper

Not realy a complaint it works fine / I think that the rear stabilizer is a little lite for the appilication. I feel that it needs to take on more weight to help stabilizer. I get a lot of movement in the rear of the coach and I am afraid to put to much weight on the stabilizer. Maybe cross bracing that comes down with a stabilizer arms.

On the docking station I understand about the controls, hope you come up with something. One other item is the drainage of the compartment, I know it has the big port for your hoses and electrical but when you disconnect your water hose it fills the bottom. The water stays in there till you mop it out, maybe drain holes or use a flush mounted accessory port. I hope this helps with some ideals.

Thanks for your reply

Last edited:
Cooper;
You say you carry 80 gal of fuel, what are you using as a extra tank? I have a new Dodge 3500 on order and I would like to add a tank to it.
Send me a private msg if you like.

Thanks
Jerry

DJBirk

Thanks for all the input fellas. What I didn't include in the origial posting was added 4x4 and single rear wheel to the f-250/350 which would change the height configeration a lot ,especially on the 350.

Scott

Trucks

I (we) try to stay out of the truck discussions because inevitably we will make someone made. People really love their trucks and have deep feelings about which brand they own, what style of bed, cab, engine, etc.
We build great fifth wheels. That's what we are good at and we leave the choice and most of the discussions about what what to tow our fifth wheels with up to the consumers - you.
We are like Switzerland on this one - neutral.

ST

svd

I don't think the question is what kind of truck to use, we all know it is a Ford :D (just kidding, relax!). I too have a deposit on a 3400RL and have an F-350 crew cab short bed SRW that seems to sit high (all stock). My dealer wasn't concerned either, but he is 3 hours away so I can't really go measure the pin height. I am not sure how much that would help anyway. I have also read horror stories about flipping axles around. I am not going to do that.

I am a little more comfortable seeing an F-250 pulling a 36 footer out there. I just don't know how much height difference there is between an F-250 and an F-350. I suppose the F-350 could be lowered several inches with lowering shackles I have seen used for that purpose.

timk

svd,
Our kids have a f350 4x4 and we have a ram 3500 4x4 (did you notice the ram is a bigger number?) ;) Both trucks fit under our 3400rl real nice. No flipping involved.
TimK

Cooper

Extra fuel tank and hook up

sharpshooter said:
Cooper;
You say you carry 80 gal of fuel, what are you using as a extra tank? I have a new Dodge 3500 on order and I would like to add a tank to it.
Send me a private msg if you like.

Thanks
Jerry

My tank is a RDS Fuel/Tool box from Tractor Supply, not much tool box. I bolted an electric fuel pump on it and install an electric fuel shutoff switch. Pulled of my fuel filler neck from my pickup tank and brazed a fitting on it to supply my main tank. I have the Ford outfitter package so I wired it to one of the 15amp switches. Works Great
Let me know if you need anymore info.

svd

We picked up our 3400RL this weekend. Our tow vehicle is an F-350 4WD, SRW, crew cab short box, and there was no trouble with height of the truck.
Steve

jaawalke

I pull a 3200RL with a F350 dually 4X4 and I have no problems with clearance most of the time. I had one time that I was in a rough terrain situation where the frame of my tonneau cover touched the bottom of my trailer.It didn't do any damage but it did get my attention.