importance of suspension?

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

Looking at the various Heartland brands, I notice that the high-end units such as the Bighorn has a TravelAir suspension, while the lower-end units have only leaf springs with shocks. While the answer may seem obvious at first glance, I feel I need to ask the question. Seems to me that cars and trucks get by just fine with shocks and springs. So? How important, really, is the TravelAir (or Mor-Ryde in other brands of fifth-wheels) suspension over shocks and springs?

Thanks,
Chris

beardedone

Beardedone
On my old titanium that my wife and I took to the Yukon for 3 months only had springs and shocks. After I went over the "Top of the World" highway I wished that I had the TrailAir suspension. I left a lot of broken glass in the garbage can at Chicken, Alaska. My wife has never forgiven me either. I installed it after we get back.

boatdoc

We have pulled three 5er's in the last 6 years and to this day the TrailAir equaflex is by far the smoothest pull of all. We had the conventional style on our Cougar then moved on to the Open Road with the Torsion Axels and now the EquaFlex. It really does make a diff.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
A premium suspension makes a huge difference in the ride, especially on the heavier fifth wheels. The trailers suspension is what causes what we call "chucking". The smoother the trailer suspension rides the less chucking is transmitted to the cab.

wyleyrabbit

On my old titanium that my wife and I took to the Yukon for 3 months only had springs and shocks. After I went over the "Top of the World" highway I wished that I had the TrailAir suspension. I left a lot of broken glass in the garbage can at Chicken, Alaska. My wife has never forgiven me either. I installed it after we get back.

It would be great to have a real-world before/after comparison. Have you driven the same highway since putting the suspension on? Or a stretch of equally rough pavement?

Tankie

wyleyrabbit,
I towed a hitchhiker to northern calif. down I-5 from WA. and then bought a BH in calif. and just made the return trip back to WA. The trip home was much smoother plus the BH tracked better. The HH started to sway at 60 mph, I do not have the swaying problem with BH. I have towed it about 3500 miles and love mor-ryde system for me it works great and is well worth the money. Hope this helps good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chris, our 07 BH came with the Mor/Ryde suspension. I added the Mor/Ryde pin box. I took the 5er home with out the pin box and the "chucking" was pretty bad. I put on the new pin box and drove the same road again and didn't know the coach was back there. Believe me, you will know the difference. BTW, with a good pin box and a good suspension you find that not much moves around in the coach while traveling. Bob:D:D:eek:

wyleyrabbit

thanks

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I guess the bottom line is that a good suspension (such as a Mor-Ryde or TravelAir) is worth having.

So if everything else if "good enough" on something such as a Sundance, can a good suspension be added aftermarket without breaking the bank and/or having to drive someplace on the other end of the continent (I'm in the Vancouver area of BC)?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chris, you might check around about suspention and pin boxes. I got my pin box from "Tweedys" in Texas, sorry can't find their PH#. Here is Mor/Rydes PH# 1-574-293-1581. They have 2 different suspenions and they have a disc brake setup for 5ers. Hope this helps. Bob:D