Replacing the bathroom fan. An adventure.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
So, I started early today, set on replacing that POS bathroom fan. I honestly have no idea where Heartland finds some of the gear that they insist on being top notch equipment. I have a theory that the board members, who want to line their pockets with every cent they can have a contest to see who can buy the cheapest equipment at the lowest price. This last batch of exhaust fans were bought at auction from a defunct newspaper who really needed toilet brushes and had these delivered by mistake.

My second goal was to run a 12vdc wire to the bedroom so I could add another fan at a later date. I’ll have three fans when I’m done with this project, the goal being adequate air circulation while boondocking.

Here are some pics: View attachment 62313 Old unit.

E7414332-F152-4107-A247-79B54BF9EC6C.jpg New flange.

18AF6262-D0B8-476F-AC49-60165E80508A.jpg All done!

What was nice is that the ac units have 12vdc wiring to the thermostat which saved me from having to fish a wire from the bath fan to the bedroom ac unit, then to the new fan location.

Overall, this took me a little less than two hours to replace. The difference is amazing!

danemayer

Over the years, I've read this type of complaint about the bathroom fan quite a few times. Yet, when I think about bathroom fans in homes and apartments, it seems to me that inexpensive, noisy, low air volume fans are pretty typical. In a home bathroom, I think the design point is to remove excess moisture and get rid of smells.

Do you have a Fantastic Fan in your bathrooms at home?

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
No fans at home, just window vents. I do know what you are saying, Broan and Panasonic are big name fans when I’m doing bath or kitchen remodeling. They aren’t great, but people don’t want to spend the money on better fans.

For me, it’s just weird how everything I’ve replaced so far in the trailer has been bottom of the barrel.

Bobby A

Nice Job,

A lot of us hear with older units, well even newer units for that matter, have replaced the cheap bathroom fans with the Vortex fan. I am still impressed with the Vortex and how much air it really moves/eliminates. Its a quick R&R job and no getting on the roof.

Bobby A

sengli

I just replaced my OEM, cheapie bathroom fan unit too, about three weeks ago. It was on my list to do but needed some warm weather to help with the removal of the dicor sealant. I bought one of the maxx series fans with the built in external hood. Much nicer and so quiet!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nice Job,

A lot of us hear with older units, well even newer units for that matter, have replaced the cheap bathroom fans with the Vortex fan. I am still impressed with the Vortex and how much air it really moves/eliminates. Its a quick R&R job and no getting on the roof.

Bobby A

Right you are, Bobby. I replaced both of the OEM fans with the Heng Vortexes. One is a single speed (bathroom) and the other in the bedroom is a multi-speed, forward & reverse. Not that difficult to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary521

I have been in a lot of other folks RV's and they come with the same bath fan. This is standard RV stuff. I have replaced the fan in other units as well as the current rig. Most of use have done this.

mlpeloquin

Nice Job,

Bobby A

Replaced ours with a Vortex. Moves a lot of air, but wish I got a Fantastic fan instead.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I went with Maxxair because it has the permanent hood so I can leave the vent open in inclement weather or while in storage.

You can do that with the Fantastic Fan as well...with the existing vent lid and the right vent cover!

I haven't installed my Fantastic fan yet...

Decided to wait as I am contemplating getting a smaller travel trailer and will keep it for that.

Pianojmac

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2011 Trailrunner Park Model bathroom fan....seem to have way too may wires ....including a black with white stripe.....yikes

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
My wiring for this fan were yellow and yellow white. This trailers don’t have much consistency in the wiring department.

WillyBill

I have installed a MaxAir vent cover over both of my Fantastic fans. Gives the all weather capability and only $50 something each. Worked great in all weather for over three years and easy to swing away for cleaning(only did that once so far but don't tell anybody, LOL. Install was about 15 min each and no new holes in roof either.

WB

mwc

I am looking to replace my bathroom fan and kitchen area fan as well. Fantastic fan or Maxair, what do you guys think? My bath fan you can reach for the controls, kitchen area it too tall and is now controlled with switches in my main control panel. I have 2018 Cyclone 4151.

JohnDar

For the bathroom, a Heng Vortex fan would be a good upgrade. They have both a single speed and a multi-speed version. For the kitchen, a Fantastic fan with rain sensor would be the way to go. That would be wired into a thermostat to control it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

I am looking to replace my bathroom fan and kitchen area fan as well. Fantastic fan or Maxair, what do you guys think? My bath fan you can reach for the controls, kitchen area it too tall and is now controlled with switches in my main control panel. I have 2018 Cyclone 4151.

Replaced the bathroom fan with a Fantastic fan with the remote. Took about 2 hours but since already had electric in the old fan did not need to run new wiring. With the remote did not need to worry about getting power to a switch.

mwc

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the Vortex for the bathroom as Johndar suggested. The ones I looked at have a knob that fits over where the crank handle would be, problem is my current vents do not " crank open". They have a black handle lever that you just pull out on and then move to desired notch to open the vent then turn the fan on. Has anyone replaced this type with a Vortex, or do you k ow if they make a model to replace this type?

kitchen area I will most likely go with a remote controlled model, due to the height and then I won't have to run wires for thermostat etc.. I'm thinking.

JohnDar

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like there is a Heng Vortex with a lever style lid mechanism.
They must have gone cheap on newer model kitchen fans. They used to come with Fantastic Fans wired into an analog wall thermostat instead of the cheap ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the Vortex for the bathroom as Johndar suggested. The ones I looked at have a knob that fits over where the crank handle would be, problem is my current vents do not " crank open". They have a black handle lever that you just pull out on and then move to desired notch to open the vent then turn the fan on. Has anyone replaced this type with a Vortex, or do you k ow if they make a model to replace this type?

kitchen area I will most likely go with a remote controlled model, due to the height and then I won't have to run wires for thermostat etc.. I'm thinking.

Do they look like this?

ProwlerVentLidInside-P1000092.jpg

If so, these are called 'EZ Lift' vents.

The MaxxAireII vent covers won't work on these, either...unless you make your own mounting brackets!

mwc

Yeah it seems so. The kitchen fan switch is the main control panel to open it and a switch to turn it on but it's the cheap tiny fan like in the bath. I will figure out something to replace them with. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

JohnD, the EZ lift is exactly what I have in the bath and in the garage. As I said before the Kitchen fan is opened and turned on from the panel.