Converter issue

PJGrimm

Hey everyone, hows it going? So my wife and I just purchased a 2020 cyclone 4007. I am having an issue with my converter. To start, its a 55 amp output converter and when I have it plugged in to 120 with generator running it instantly begins to put out 38 or so amps. The 12v circuit breaker it runs to is only a 30a so inherintly it keeps tripping, this is with only a few lights on. So I tried unplugging the converter from 120 and using my battery charger set at 10amps, ran the generator and my current flow on the same circuit is only 5 to 6 amps now. Could there be a problem with the converter or am I overlookong something?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ

danemayer

Hi PJGrimm,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

How did you determine you have a 55 amp Power Converter? It should be a Progressive Dynamics 9280 with 80 amp output. The wire from the Power Converter is pretty thick and should go to a 50 amp 12V mini-circuit breaker on the buss bar near the batteries. There may also be 30 amp breakers.

How do you know the 30 amp breaker is tripping? What's failing?

The Power Converter also has a direct wire to the fuse box inside the coach. So regardless of the size of breaker on the buss bar, or whether that breaker trips, the lights should still be receiving power from the Power Converter if you have shore power.

PJGrimm

The manual for the converter says its 55 amps nominal 70 amps peak. I heard a clicking from the breaker in the battery room every 30 secs or so and its getting pretty hot and I double checked it with a stethoscope.

I figured it shoud be atleast a 50 amp breaker but took breaker off and it says 30a on the side.

Nothing stops workin, that's the thing but if I unplug the converter the large draw goes away and the breaker stops tripping. I cant figure out why it has such a high amp output for essentially no reason.

I turned on some lights and with the converter plugged in I got a 38 amp output, converter unplugged same lights on I got 4 amps on the same wire.

The only thing I could think of is that it was charging the batteries but would it do that at almost 35 amps? And also why is it only on a 30 amp breaker? When it can move up to 70 amps. Is it supposed to be on the bus bar side or do I have an issue with converter?

danemayer

I'd check the water level in your batteries. If ok, then take the batteries to an auto parts store or service center and have them load tested.

The converter manual for the 9200 series covers 6 models ranging from 30 amps to 80 amps output.

The 30 amp circuit breaker is either for something else, or it's the wrong size breaker. Can you post a picture of the suspect breaker, and surrounding breakers. Make sure the wires are also visible.

LBR

The manual for the converter says its 55 amps nominal 70 amps peak. I heard a clicking from the breaker in the battery room every 30 secs or so and its getting pretty hot and I double checked it with a stethoscope.

I figured it shoud be atleast a 50 amp breaker but took breaker off and it says 30a on the side.

Nothing stops workin, that's the thing but if I unplug the converter the large draw goes away and the breaker stops tripping. I cant figure out why it has such a high amp output for essentially no reason.

I turned on some lights and with the converter plugged in I got a 38 amp output, converter unplugged same lights on I got 4 amps on the same wire.

The only thing I could think of is that it was charging the batteries but would it do that at almost 35 amps? And also why is it only on a 30 amp breaker? When it can move up to 70 amps. Is it supposed to be on the bus bar side or do I have an issue with converter?
Sounds like you have the PD 9270 converter.

Yes, change the main breaker from a 30A to 50A....auto parts store for a few bucks will get you one.

About 3 weeks after our PDI, I pulled down my entire back compartment wall and spent over half a day tightening everything that was either a fitting or a connection...all electricals, all cables, all water systems...transfer switches, main 50A plug, main 12V and 120 V breaker panels got checked, everything in the front electrical bay got cinched tight and checked, etc.

Your heat may be coming from a loose connection.

PJGrimm

15638907550874788019746765355616.jpg

I hope I did the pic right. I have checked connections, I pulled my basement panel, both fuse panels and checked all connections including plumbing as soon as I got it home. Ive heard horror stories about loose connections

The one on the very left is the one that is popping. The large wire on the top of the second breaker is main power from my battery cutoff and the large wire on bottom of the very left comes from my 12v fuse panel then loops out from the panel to my converter. Is that the correct location wire? Or am I overlooking something

danemayer

View attachment 62342

I hope I did the pic right. I have checked connections, I pulled my basement panel, both fuse panels and checked all connections including plumbing as soon as I got it home. Ive heard horror stories about loose connections

The one on the very left is the one that is popping. The large wire on the top of the second breaker is main power from my battery cutoff and the large wire on bottom of the very left comes from my 12v fuse panel then loops out from the panel to my converter. Is that the correct location wire? Or am I overlooking something

I see you also have an 80 amp breaker. Is that sitting between battery and hydraulics?

Also, the middle 2 breakers have "30" labels. Not the one on the far left. Have you removed the far left breaker to check its rating?

Btw, where your battery cable connects at the top, there is a copper buss bar connecting and providing power to all of the breakers. If the power converter connects on the far left, the power to that breaker is through the copper buss bar. If the far left breaker is 50 amp, that would be normal.

If the far left breaker is 50 amp and is tripping frequently, it's now worn out and needs to be replaced. They're inexpensive, so buy 2 or 3. If you never need the extras, you'll surely run into another camper who will need one.

Again, I would check the batteries for a condition that's causing the batteries to demand more than 50 amps.

PJGrimm

Yes the 80 amp breaker is to the hydraulics. I also did replace the far left breaker think maybe it was a faulty breaker. it was identical to the middle 2 being 30 amps. I didn't want replace with higher amp until I was sure there wasnt a problem. So I guess next steps are get a 50 amp breaker in there and have my batteries tested.

Thanks for all the help. I will get back to you this afternoon after I get those two things done.

PJGrimm

Sorry was out of town, didnt get to post before I left. So I belive ive got it figured out. I had the batteries test. They were good but low charge. So I charged them up over night with external charger and now everything seems ok. The converter is only pushing 15 a or so and my breaker is no longer tripping. I didnt realize the converter would charge the batteries at such a high amperage. But all seems well and I learned something.

Anyways, thanks for all the help everyone. Glad it was something simple this time.