Generator power distribution switch

Hippie

We have a 2006 Grand Canyon. It has the generator prep kit. I was wanting to know with the generator prep installed does it come with a power transfer switch? Thank you... Ralph...

jimtoo

Hi Ralph,
I would suggest you have your Landmark VIN number in hand and call customer service at 877-262-8032. Hopefully they will be able to answer your question.
Jim M

Northern Virginia
I have an 09 Landmark Augusta with the generator prep and was wondering the same. I'll be interested in the answer.

John

Retyred

Transfer Switch

On the 06 Grand Canyon with the generator prep it did not include the transfer switch.
Retyred

nemo45

Why would you need a transfer switch? Just plug the fifth wheel into the generator, only. A transfer switch is needed in a stick house because you are hooked to power all the time and could cause damage to the generator if the power came back on while you're running the generator. Also, you can pick what circuits you want to run in the house while using the generator. Certainly no need to have a transfer switch when the unit is only hooked up to the generator.

grizzlygiant

Don--You are absolutely right; you do not NEED a transfer switch. When you pull off the road for lunch all you have to do is get out the power cord (feont center), connect it to the coach (rear corner) and plug it into the generator (front center). Then simply repeat the process when you are finished with lunch. I love my power cord and would look forward to this exercise after a long morning drive.

nemo45

How about instead of a $300 transfer switch, making up a 4ft. power cord for about $75. You can then put the generator any place you want it(by the rear corner) and still get your exercise. Or better yet, just make yourself a cold sandwich for lunch and don't set up your generator till you get to the campgrounds. On my Open Road the electrical hook up is right above the sewer hook-up (mid-ships) and 20 ft. power cord dedicated to the generator would work. Of course I was thinking of my setup with a portable generator and you guys, I'm sure, are talking about a permanently installed onan type generator. Then a transferswitch would be very beneficial but still not necessary as a plug like the one you plug your power cord into could be wired in.

big bird

My 2009 Pinehurst with onan 5.5k installed has the automatic switch and I really appreciate it, mostly when parked in a campsite with only 15 amp. hook up, when I need more power just push the start button and dont have to worry about plug, unplug and replug.....

jbeletti

My 2009 Pinehurst with onan 5.5k installed has the automatic switch and I really appreciate it, mostly when parked in a campsite with only 15 amp. hook up, when I need more power just push the start button and dont have to worry about plug, unplug and replug.....

I miss the storage space taken by the gen but you're right - it sure is nice to just hit the button.

Jim

Smokeyfl

Transfer switch is more of a saftey item than a necessity. I have a 2009 3612 Razor and there is no transfer switch per the dealer. They told me that if I accidentally turned on the genset while plugged in to shorepower, it would be a mess. The genset is wired directly to the 110V system. Strange place to cut corners.

Hippie

I want to wire the genset from the truck to the trailer so I can put power on the trailer while we're driving. I want to leave the A/C units on and about an hour out from our stop I'll start the genset with a remote in the truck cab. This way we will have a cool trailer when we stop. I have a 7.5 onan diesel mounted right behind the car and just in front of the fifth wheel on the back truck. I will have the trailer separated from the truck before I hook to shore power. I want to wire to the breaker box and I just don't want to have a hot power plug hanging off the front of the trailer. The plug that will be on the trailer will be male with exposed prongs. I really don't want to light someone's fire. I would hate for someone grab the plug and ask what is this fore and then get a real charge out of life. Thanks. Ralph...

jbeletti

...I want to wire to the breaker box and I just don't want to have a hot power plug hanging off the front of the trailer. The plug that will be on the trailer will be male with exposed prongs...

Ralph,

In your case - tapping into the AC MAIN at the breaker panel and running to the front of the coach, I would add a manual transfer switch. That way, you you are only connected to shore power, the line going to the front of the coach with exposed prongs will not be hot. Being manual, you will always have to remember to throw the switch.

Another thought though, add a 50 amp Marinco receptacle at your pin box and make up a short shore power cord to go from that receptacle to the your gen. Then, you just remove the cord altogether (both ends) and the hinged door shuts on the receptacle and it's all good. Money saved by not buy the switch can subsidize the $100 Marinco receptacle. Nice clean install. :)

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, I also thought of adding a Marinco recepticle at the front, but one or the other would still be energized. So if someone opened the Marinco cover not in use, they would still be exposed to a live wire. The manual transfer switch is the best and safest way to go. IMHO
Peace
Dave

Hippie

Thanks I never thought about the Marinco recepticle, and a manual transfer switch is what I was leanning to.

jbeletti

Hippie,

Fabricate a bracket with a hole in it for this:

rvstuffusa_2032_3162693

It's $$$. About $130. Maybe available from a RV surplus store. This one is a Marinco 6353ELRV.

Jim

On edit: This is on sale at Camping World for the Club price of $100.

Hippie

Thanks Jim. That's just what I was looking for. I'll cut a hole in the back of the extended frame on the truck and install it right beside socket where I plug the trailer brake and lights into.