cracked propane pigtails

matt1234

I just wanted to caution everyone to check their propane hoses. While changing my propane tank yesterday on our 2018 BH270 I happened to notice both propane lines are cracked!

These lines were manufactured 02/06/17. We are seasonal campers in southern Ontario. They have been under cover the entire duration and I never would have even thought to check them. Obviously a rather large safety concern I need to remedy immediately. It seems like a straightforward and easy fix(?). My question is what should I replace them with? Brand? Type? Where should I buy new pigtails? I would rather spend a bit of extra money to get quality hoses and not the same cheap Chinese rubber which failed so fast.

While we love our trailer it's rather disheartening they would choose to cheap out on gas hoses putting my family and everyone else's at risk just to save a few dollars.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks, cheers,
Matt

danemayer

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

How deep are these cracks? Light surface cracking, or deeper cracks?

matt1234

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

How deep are these cracks? Light surface cracking, or deeper cracks?

They appear "drastic" to me, almost like a knife could have cut them. Here's a pic. I don't think they are leaking, I'm not running out of propane any earlier. I am going to test with soap tonight to try to determine if we can keep using until I replace them. I do not smell propane near them.

https://ibb.co/72CL0yz

danemayer

I adjusted the pics so it's easier to see the cracks. Actually, to me, these look more like either the hoses were folded in half causing the cracks, or perhaps cut.

cracked hose 3 adj.jpgdamaged-hose-adjusteded.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just checked mine (original equipment), no splits. Same on my two BBQ units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmetcalf

I needed to replace one of mine on our new unit we purchased January of this year .! The o-ring was missing allowing propane to leak around it.