This is way it should be.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
We got our trailer the end of May and started installing the solar in mid June. The resort we belong to has sites that have hook ups as well as non. They also don’t mind if you use some power tools if your neighbors don’t mind. We were there during the week and had the resort to ourselves.

We wanted to install our system and have it work so we could move to the non hookup area, which is cooler and has better views.

Well, we now use an induction cooktop to not overheat the interior, I was able to use my battery charger to charge my Makita power tools. We get to use almost everything we have because the batteries and panels can more than keep up.

Our first trip will be in September and we are really looking forward to it.

Fox

Details are missing - tell us about your solar equipment and how your (self) installation went.
Pics would verify that you're telling us the truth <Grin>.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
Details are missing - tell us about your solar equipment and how your (self) installation went.
Pics would verify that you're telling us the truth <Grin>.

I hadn’t realized how few install pictures I have.

D35D3F68-D283-41E8-B395-72BEEAC26154.jpg 1020 watts in three panels @ 24vdc.

CC895805-84DC-48F6-BE64-DD91F68AEC6E.jpg Four 100 amp Battle Born batteries in some extra space behind the basement wall.

I have a Victron mppt controller, Multiplus 3k, and a BMV 712. A pretty basic system.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
That's a good sized system. Plenty of power to do what you want.

I was hoping to follow a few rules. X number of batteries, 1.5 times that amount in panels and etc. Well Victron and take most panels voltage and watts and convert it into 13+ vdc and 35 amps to pour into my batteries. The higher voltage from my panels means less loss on the long run to my converter.

Yes, the panels are a little bigger in size but I can walk around them with no issue. Killer price too.

For a good example, when I boil 2.5 liters of water on my induction cooktop during the night, I use 30 amps but during the sunlight hours, I use 22 amps. The system recovers fast.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I was hoping to follow a few rules. X number of batteries, 1.5 times that amount in panels and etc. Well Victron and take most panels voltage and watts and convert it into 13+ vdc and 35 amps to pour into my batteries. The higher voltage from my panels means less loss on the long run to my converter.

Yes, the panels are a little bigger in size but I can walk around them with no issue. Killer price too.

For a good example, when I boil 2.5 liters of water on my induction cooktop during the night, I use 30 amps but during the sunlight hours, I use 22 amps. The system recovers fast.

The other advantage you have is when you have multiple overcast or rainy days your system should still be able to recharge nearly completely every day. Sometimes that can be difficult to achieve on solar.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
The other advantage you have is when you have multiple overcast or rainy days your system should still be able to recharge nearly completely every day. Sometimes that can be difficult to achieve on solar.

The TT seems to use a lot of power just in storage. I can turn off the inverter/converter but weeding out the 12 vdc loads will be a challenge.

a couple of pics:

51743536-7E5B-43A3-9DEA-20968C61251B.jpg With induction cooktop going

2FB85E76-0C21-43EA-BEB2-A50758EE20BD.jpg Recovery time.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The TT seems to use a lot of power just in storage. I can turn off the inverter/converter but weeding out the 12 vdc loads will be a challenge.

a couple of pics:

View attachment 62567 With induction cooktop going

View attachment 62568 Recovery time.
Once you've had your system for a little while, figuring out loads becomes easier.
I can now even tell if I left a light on in a storage compartment or hidden area or the antenna amplifier and sometimes even other 12v items on based on what the daily load is in storage.

My LP/CO2 detector is fairly high 12v usage in storage but really not an issue in storage leaving it on. It is fused independent of 12v fuse panel. Around 30 - 50 watts /day don't remember off hand right now it could be more.

sparkie55

I just wanted to know What was the total cost for the solar cells and were you got them from and what was the cost of the batteries. Thanks Jack

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
I just wanted to know What was the total cost for the solar cells and were you got them from and what was the cost of the batteries. Thanks Jack

The prices for the panels are screwy right now. I paid $1000. for 4 24vdc 324 watt panels (Canadian) and picked them up myself in Sacramento.

Battle Born batteries are for whatever you can get them for as they are also going up and down. I did get a military discount and had them shipped to a distribution center to pick up too.

Hope this helps.