Looking for new RV

We just sold our older Sunnybrook and want to scale down. We have been looking at all the different 5th wheels and there are so many its confusing. We want to keep the weight down to less than 8000 lbs.
We found this forum and thought maybe we could get some input from current owners.

Why do you like this make?
How is the dealer/warranty service.
Anything to watch out for?
Location for best prices?

Thanks
Fay & Michael

rjr6150

1.To answer your first question after looking for 2.5 years felt in this price range Heartland gave you the most bang for your dollar.
2.We have been extremely happy with the service of our local dealer even though they are located 180 miles from us.
3.Before taking delivery do a extensive PDI
4. Can't really help with this one. We sent spec sheets out to what I would consider local for me all within 250 miles and went with K & C RV in Loveland CO.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We just sold our older Sunnybrook and want to scale down. We have been looking at all the different 5th wheels and there are so many its confusing. We want to keep the weight down to less than 8000 lbs.
We found this forum and thought maybe we could get some input from current owners.

Why do you like this make?
How is the dealer/warranty service.
Anything to watch out for?
Location for best prices?

Thanks
Fay & Michael

Fay & Michael,
Welcome to the forum. We are on our second Heartland product. This company is head and shoulders above all others when it comes to customer service and backing their product. Not to mention the value you get and quality of the product. I would suggest that you spend some time on this forum and get a feel for yourself. Also checkout Heartland's website, its is pretty awesome.

As for a dealer, well as you will see here a dealer can be really good or really bad. This is a tuff call. If you are willing to travel a bit there are some awesome dealer for Heartland that have a very good reputation on this forum. You will aslo get quite a better price if you are willing to travel. Ideally it would be in your best interest if at all possible, to find a great dealer local to you.

Well I am sure others will weigh in on this.

Good luck,
Mark

jbeletti

Hi Fay and Michael,

While the GVWR is over 8k, the dry weight of the North Trail 5th wheels are well under that. Depends on options and loading. Here's a link to the specs.

What tow vehicle do you have (year, brand, model, size, bed, doors etc.)?

Best of luck to you,

Jim

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Hi, Fay and Michael. We have a 2006 Big Horn. Heartland cares about its owners and wants them to enjoy their camping experiences. I have found them to go well beyond the norm to makes things right should you have a problem. Heartland is very reasonable and do not seem to get caught up in the, "Oh, sorry, your warranty was up ... ago." The North Trail is a fine unit. Best of luck to you.

Cheryl

Heartland is very reasonable and do not seem to get caught up in the, "Oh, sorry, your warranty was up ... ago.
I have to disagree with that statement. We have an issue that we have been trying to get fixed since the summer of 2006, when our 5th wheel was still under warranty. After many calls to the company, to several different people who no longer work for Heartland, now we are told they won't fix it because it isn't under warranty. Jim Fenner won't even return Nelson's phone calls.
You can see from this thread,
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1709&highlight=mobile+suites
my 1st post is number 3 and dated Oct, 2006, that this was brought to their attention while in warranty. I still love my unit, just very unhappy that we will have to pay to fix a crack that is their fault.

Take a look at the Sundance Fifth wheels

The Sundance fifth wheels have a new lightweight series and the construction is impressive. (deleted by Admin) I have found extended warranties for service can be a big benefit when it comes to service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow up to all the great responses

My research so far tells we will have to decide between a North Trail, Sundance or XLT. Can't afford the Bighorn/Landmarks. The XLT's are lighter mainly due to having fewer slides it looks like. I don't understand the difference between the North Trail and the Sundance.
To answer Jim's question....we sold our truck also so we have options there. Michael however is concerned about getting a truck that is too high since he has had some friends that had problems w/ this raising their 5th wheels too high in the front.

I'm a little concerned w/ Cheryl's comments about warranty work from the factory. She still seems to like her camper anyway..which is good.

We have never had a travel trailer. Are they harder to pull than a 5th wheel as most everyone thinks?

Cheryl

I do like our 5th wheel. Just not very fond of the company any more. We have had many "smaller" issues that were never fixed by the company, such as cheap drawer slides that broke, instead of the ball bearing slides that were supposed to be on them. Our biggest problem though is the crack. We feel they should pay to fix it, since we first told the company about it way back in the summer of 2006.

//heartlandowners.org/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=82

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Cheryl, I went to the link you provided for a thread about Landmark vs. Mobile Suites. I read all the posts and it sounded as if you and Randy were on a path that would have gotten your problems taken care of. What was the end result? Just curious.

Cheryl

Randy either couldn't or wouldn't find somewhere for us to take it to to get it fixed. He would give Nelson a name, Nelson would call that place, they would say they no longer deal with Heartland. So, Nelson would call Randy again and start all over, repeatedly. The last time he spoke to Randy, Randy said he would find a place for us and get back to us, he never did. As of right now, it still isn't fixed. Nelson found a place on his own (Jim May in Findlay, Ohio, about 4 1/2 hours away from us) that will do it, but Jim Fenner says Heartland won't pay now. Our Trailer is actually out at Jim May's for other work.