traveling in colder climes-newbe questions

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are planning a trip to New Mexico to go skiing for Christmas. Here near the Dallas TX area, temps may or may not get below freezing between now and then. Temps in NM may or may not be below freezing, but could dip into them. My question is this --- should we winterize before we go? I know we'll run the heat when we're there, which should keep us from freezing up. What should we do about hot water? I see posts about not using the hot water heater in freezing temps? Someone please be clear as to what we can and cannot do.

Thanks!

TT

We were hoping you would get some responses. We are going to our daughter’s house near Spartanburg, SC for Christmas and the low temps there average about 32. We keep our NT at our son’s house near Chambersburg, PA so it is already winterized.

Some of the questions we have are the same as you, but also what is the best way to travel – holding tanks, heat, water heater?

cliffbuilt

winter trips

Hi , Suprised you haven't had any replys, we do a little winter camping but the temps havenot been much below the 20's. I keep at least 1/2 a tank of fresh water & full hot water tank. Some short stays I just refill the fresh water tank as needed & roll up hose draining the water out. For longer stays I have a hose with heat tape & insulation. Haven't had any problems using hot water, keep the propane heater set about 60 so warm air gets into the underbelly.

Good luck, Enjoy camping, Cliff :D

bill40

Hi, I am far from a winter traveler but last year we did spend four days in Williams AZ. The temp were from 10 to 17 at night. We kept the fresh water tank filled and the heat on. We did not have any problems with freezing. When it started to snow we left for Sedona. We waited out the snow and made it home by Christmas. With care you should beable to handle most temp.

Tankie

Hello, we are wintering in Moses Lake, WA. for work reasons. We wrapped heat tape on our water line and put foam pipe insulation on. We had to buy a new water hose that would handle the heat tape but that was only about $12. We rented a 120lb propane tank so I would not have to fill our tanks every week, but that only works if you plan on being in one place all winter. We are also checking into skirting. I think that as long as you are using the hot water heater you would not have any problems and keep the heat on which wife does not have a problem doing.