Cool air in the slideout..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just wanted to see if anyone else is feeling cool air while sitting in the slideout. We have the 3400RE and our chairs are in the ODS slideout. It is about 36* outside (11pm) and I can feel cold air while sitting my chair. I can't find a breeze but I can feel cold air on my arms.

Does anyone have this situation? Temp in the trailer right now is about 64*. Not using the furnace at this time. Just have two electric heaters on. One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

Temp in the basement is about 57*. Have two light bulbs on in the basement.

Expect the temp outside to get down to about 30* tonight.

Anyone have any suggestions.

cliffbuilt

Hi. Do you have dual pane windows? I' ve been wondering how many fultimers purchase this option & how affective they are ???

Thanks, Cliff

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi. Do you have dual pane windows? I' ve been wondering how many fultimers purchase this option & how affective they are ???

Nope. Don't have Dual Pane. That may be the problem. I did not order the 5er. Bought it off the dealer lot. Don't think it would be worth about 2 grand to install the dual pane. Don't plan to be in this cold weather for long.

RGV here we come.. Well almost.. After Christmas, maybe.

Tom of Ypsi

This was one of the discussions several of us had the other day sitting around watching the grass grow. Two people have motorhomes and three of us have 5'ers, all with the same problem. Dual pane windows do help but the insulation in the slides is minimal. The walls are insulated like the rest of the coach but the floor and roof has very little, something in the order of a couple of pieces of wood coated to look pretty and maybe a vapor barrier or something along that order. BTW the RGV is cool this morning, 46f at 8 am but going to the low to mid 70's and sunny.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bobcat, Is your ceiling fan going? Blowing down? Just a thought. I feel the same cool air on my back when I'm at the Desk, like right now!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ray
No we don't use the ceiling fan much. It has a loud squeak that I need to get fixed. I have read that if you use the ceiling fan it helps move the warm air (that rises) around the coach.
I agree that the roof and floor are not insulated like the rest of the trailer. It is not a big problem, just a little uncomfortable.

BC

beardedone

Beardedone
I have camped a lot in cool weather, in fact going out to Rocky Mountain House to visit it today. We always use the ceiling fan to move heat around and electric heaters as a source. At night we have electric mattress warmer. I to feel the draft at the computer station in our Augusta. When I was working on the fireplace I discovered how thinly the insultation really was in the slide walls. I usually have the fireplace going but I wear my slippers and am thinking of putting some foil insulation blanket around the perimeter. This would have to include the floor as it doesn't look well insulated. When I was working up in Fort McMurray I noticed the smoke shacks had 8cm thick pieces of styrofoam insulation that the smokers sat on. It was a real bun warmer and amazing how well it worked. Try putting a chunk of that under your feet, it may help.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Beardedone
I will look into that.. You also gave me an idea. I may get tme some of the styrofoam insulation and tape it to the bottom of the slide while I am in the cold weather.

BC