Power Cord won't unplug

farside291

Bought one of those Camco 90 degree adapters to allow the power cord to hang straight down and this past week I couldn't get the yellow adapter plug to come loose from the trailer plug. Normally you turn the handle counter clockwise to insert and back again to disconnect. It appears that the inside plug, trailer side, is turning with the adapter plug not allowing the adapter plug to disengage. Any suggestions? I have really pulled and turned while pulling quite hard on the plug trying to get it to slip past the raised alignment areas on the plug but to no avail. Any suggestions, its kind of embarrassing driving down the road with my adapter hanging in the wind, if you know what I mean. I can disconnect the original plug from the adapter so the only thing hanging out of the trailer is the 2 foot adapter.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Bought one of those Camco 90 degree adapters to allow the power cord to hang straight down and this past week I couldn't get the yellow adapter plug to come loose from the trailer plug. Normally you turn the handle counter clockwise to insert and back again to disconnect. It appears that the inside plug, trailer side, is turning with the adapter plug not allowing the adapter plug to disengage. Any suggestions? I have really pulled and turned while pulling quite hard on the plug trying to get it to slip past the raised alignment areas on the plug but to no avail. Any suggestions, its kind of embarrassing driving down the road with my adapter hanging in the wind, if you know what I mean. I can disconnect the original plug from the adapter so the only thing hanging out of the trailer is the 2 foot adapter.

Is it possible to remove the screws holding the plug to the wall of the RV and pull the whole thing out to get a hold of it from the back ?

farside291

I didn't think of that, I was concerned about breaking it. I will look and see if there are screws holding the plug and cover to the side of the trailer. Or if they are accessible with the plug plugged in. The trailer is in storage right now, so I will check that when I go to it next weekend. Its kind of weird, I have never had a single problem with the plug on the trailer until last week. I just don't want to break anything because it will still work the way it is, just looks funny going down the road. Not quite as funny as someone with their sewer hose dragging though! Been there, done that.

Thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hopefully your adapter hasn’t overheated and “melted” in place! Check very carefully for scorch marks or melted plastic look or smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farside291

It's not melted, nor did it get hot. It is spinning on the inside of the trailer. If I can't get the plug loose from the trailer I guess I will let it dangle from the side. Oh well, just one more little aggravation. I just don't want to take a chance on breaking any wires on the inside. Think I will wait for some cooler weather though, its been crazy hot here in Texas.

wdk450

It's not melted, nor did it get hot. It is spinning on the inside of the trailer. If I can't get the plug loose from the trailer I guess I will let it dangle from the side. Oh well, just one more little aggravation. I just don't want to take a chance on breaking any wires on the inside. Think I will wait for some cooler weather though, its been crazy hot here in Texas.

You should not encounter any significant wiring problems removing the 50 amp RV service SOCKET (female prongs) mounting assembly from the trailer side. The cable attached to the socket is like a very heavy duty 4 wire extension cord, and should be easy to figure out. This might be an opportunity to install the much better contact 50 amp plug and socket recently mentioned on this forum.

farside291

I will remove the plug and replace both ends with the smart plug. I really like the design and those of you already using it, I like what I hear. Thanks for all the suggestions. If I find anything interesting, I will post pictures. But, I really think it just came loose on the inside of the trailer side plug.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We love our SmartPlug, one of the best investments/improvements we’ve made. I love how simple and easy it is to install and operate, no question it’s connected properly and effectively.

78783b60c016a7566bc4b1f898cc37ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk