socket size

pitch black

what size fits water heater plug, 09 BC, 5er is down at sisters, need to know before i take ever socket i own, thanks in advance

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The socket size is 1-1/16. Be sure to take a breaker bar or cheater pipe. They are very tight. Also bring a short extension.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ditto on the breaker bar. Broke my son's 1/2in drive ratchet yesterday. At least now I know what to get him for Christmas!:D

pitch black

Also be sure to open the hot water tap to release any pressure on the tank.
yea, got me a little shower today, right when i thought about pressure ,too late here came the water, rod was pretty clean a little stuff on it, but the plug was fairly easy to get off.

boatto5er

My anode rod looked good at first, but upon closer examination I noticed that it was eaten away by a good 1/3 right near where it attaches to the plug. I've only had the RV since Sept so it has started going away pretty quickly. I plan on replacing it in the Spring - already added it to my un-winterize checklist.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
My anode rod looked good at first, but upon closer examination I noticed that it was eaten away by a good 1/3 right near where it attaches to the plug. I've only had the RV since Sept so it has started going away pretty quickly. I plan on replacing it in the Spring - already added it to my un-winterize checklist.

This is exactly where and how much my anode rod was eaten away when I first removed it three years ago. Still looks pretty much the same at that spot today - just more corrosion on the latter part of the rod, so it may not be necessary for you to replace it after one removal.

Dave

Traveling Two
The socket size is 1-1/16. Be sure to take a breaker bar or cheater pipe. They are very tight. Also bring a short extension.

I tried to get my drain plug off the other day and I thought I was going to twist the entire drain plug and threads out of the water heater. Why is it so tight? When I get back home I will find me a breaker bar and see if I can get it loose. I was using a 3/8 drive rachet only. Thanks for the info. Happy camping!!

jbeletti

Dave,

I have always used a 1-1/16" socket with a 1/2" drive, a 12" extension and a 1/2" socket wrench.

Have not heard of anyone cracking one of these loose with a 3/8" drive socket wrench.

Jim

Muddy

I wrap Teflon tape on the threads and install and remove the rod with a cresent wrench and no problems.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, 3/8 drive ratchet does not have a long enough handle for the leverage you need. It's all about leverage. Like mathematician Archimedes once said "give me a lever and fulcrum and I can move the world". Like Ray said maybe even use a cheater (longer lever).
Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I second the part about a 1/2" drive. I used a 1/2" breaker bar rather than a socket wrench to loosen the the anode.

BC

jimtoo

I just replaced mine this week also, about half gone, going on 2 years old. Of course we have better water in TEXAS, so it does not eat things up or cause corrosion.

Jim M

boatto5er

my 09 2900mk sundance anode rod was half eaten away also after 6 months!!!!!!is this normal ?

At the end of the first year I had my boat, the zinc anodes on the I/O drive were only a little eaten away so I left them on for another year. At the end of that second year, they were almost completely eaten away. Now I change them every year. Better safe than sorry. There are a ton of variables that affect anodes. I'll change my hot water anode each year just to make me feel more comfortable.

Gus

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
my 09 2900mk sundance anode rod was half eaten away also after 6 months!!!!!!is this normal ?
A lot depends on the water in the area you are camping. We're mostly always in parks on their own well so I think it's safe to assume it pretty hard. I think a lot has to do with iron content too.

SmokeyBare

I consider it an annual maintenance cost... and just change it... for $10.00 or so... it's worth the cost so I don't cause the heater to fail because it I didn't change it.

Marv

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have an answer for the anode rod question on when to replace from question and answer section from Suburban.

Question 4
Are all water heaters equipped with an Anode Rod? What is its function? When should it be changed?
Answer:
Only Suburban water heaters feature an anode rod. The anode equalizes aggressive water action, providing cathodic protection for the tank. It is a very important factor in tank life and should only be removed for inspection, draining or replacement. It is removeable using a 1-1/16" socket.
All Suburban water heaters are protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate. Because of this, we recommend it be replaced annually or when consumption or weight loss of the rod is greater than 75%. Note: Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will increase the rate of deterioration. To extend anode life, drain water from tank whenever the RV is not being used. Avoid any extended time of non-use with water in the tank.;)......Kenny