water pump constanly running

mjklm

WE have a 2011 Focus with shurflo pump. after last trip heard the pump come on and stop when no water was being used. Camper is completely empty of water, at least the best it ever gets. Have checked EVERYWHERE, multiple times for leaks and cannot find any. EXCEPT, If I turn on pump, any left spits out of the flush valve or whatever it is that sends water down the commode. Went to a dealer and also called commode manufacturer, they suggest maybe bad flush valve on commode, bought parts, went to remove commode
to repair, removed water line to commode and decided, what the heck, see if pump still ran without water going to commode, it does, whatever water left in line spits out. NOW WHAT???. tried to find a reset on pump, either cant find or isn't one.

Anyone got any ideas, I've run out!!!

As always, really appreciate advice and help.

Mike Morris

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

WE have a 2011 Focus with shurflo pump. after last trip heard the pump come on and stop when no water was being used. Camper is completely empty of water, at least the best it ever gets. Have checked EVERYWHERE, multiple times for leaks and cannot find any. EXCEPT, If I turn on pump, any left spits out of the flush valve or whatever it is that sends water down the commode. Went to a dealer and also called commode manufacturer, they suggest maybe bad flush valve on commode, bought parts, went to remove commode
to repair, removed water line to commode and decided, what the heck, see if pump still ran without water going to commode, it does, whatever water left in line spits out. NOW WHAT???. tried to find a reset on pump, either cant find or isn't one.

Anyone got any ideas, I've run out!!!

As always, really appreciate advice and help.

Mike Morris
If you have a Anderson valve? Is it on city or tank. If there is no water in the camper it's trying to build pressure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mjklm

If you have a Anderson valve? Is it on city or tank. If there is no water in the camper it's trying to build pressure.

It was on tank, just stting in my yard now not being used. What valve you talking about, on pump or ???

mjklm

I doubt I have an Anderson four way valve, never
heard of one before . Another thing happen, we decided
to fill back up with water to try n get possible
air out, after only a little water going in, it
started coming back out the fill line. All
fittings are tight, no leaks ANYWHERE, no Anderson
4 way valve, if their is I have no idea where
it could be or what it looks like, I know what valves are, don't have it n besides sounds like I never
want one.

Thanks for suggestions but I don't think that's
the problem.

danemayer

I'm not clear on your description. Is your water pump switch ON all the time, and sometimes it makes noise when no faucets are open and you have no water in the fresh tank? Or is the switch OFF and it still makes noise when no faucets are open?

Or something else?

mjklm

Something else.....my pump is on demand, we came back
from camping, where everything worked great.
we forgot to turn off when we left, but even then the pump
doesn't run unless water is used, it wasn't running
when we came home, next day Im out cleaning
camper, the pump is running, there's water dripping
from the flush valve in toilet, changed that
pump still runs even when water is disconnected from toilet. Tried putting water in holding tank to replace air, but tank overflowed before being closer to full. When pump is off does not run, turn on, never stops running. I'm
starting to think it's not water but possibly air but I don't
where it's coming from

Thanks for helping

danemayer

If the pump is turned on with all faucets closed, and it runs continuously, the pressure switch inside the pump is not activating to signal it to shut off. Possible causes:

1. No water getting to the pump because the fresh tank is empty.
  2. The antifreeze suction line valve is partially open allowing the pump to suck in air.
  3. The clear plastic strainer bowl on the suction side of the pump is loose or cracked, allowing the pump to suck in air.
  4. The fittings attaching water lines to the pump are loose, allowing the pump to suck in air.
  5. The pump internal pressure switch is failing and not shutting the pump off.
  6. The pump is failing and can no longer develop enough water pressure to activate the pressure switch and shut the pump off.
  7. There is an undetected leak somewhere in the plumbing.
  8. Open fresh tank drain valve.

One diagnostic you can try is to put the antifreeze suction hose into a bucket of water, with the valve open as though winterizing. With pump on and a faucet open, water from the bucket should come out the faucet. If it does, #s 3,4 are not the problem and #6 is less likely.

Close the antifreeze suction valve and see if the problem goes away.

mjklm

Thanks for answering.....most of what you described
I have checked over n everything is good. I will try
the winterizing hose with some water, but that valve
is closed. After reading your post, sounding like
pump going out, but we'll see.

Gary521

The reason you cannot fill the fresh tank is that there is water in the vent line. The solution is to place a small hose over the vent and blow out the line. This is a common problem with gravity fill fresh water tanks. After you blow the line out, you can hear the vent gurgle as you fill the fresh water tank. Keep the small hose handy as this will happen again.

On a former trailer I had the same or similar problem with the water pump. The pump had trapped air and would not self prime. I had to vent the air out of the line by unscrewing the exit water line from the pump, a little bit, while running, to push the trapped air out. This always occurred when I left the water tank get too low or after winterizing.

mjklm

The reason you cannot fill the fresh tank is that there is water in the vent line. The solution is to place a small hose over the vent and blow out the line. This is a common problem with gravity fill fresh water tanks. After you blow the line out, you can hear the vent gurgle as you fill the fresh water tank. Keep the small hose handy as this will happen again.

On a former trailer I had the same or similar problem with the water pump. The pump had trapped air and would not self prime. I had to vent the air out of the line by unscrewing the exit water line from the pump, a little bit, while running, to push the trapped air out. This always occurred when I left the water tank get too low or after winterizing.

Thank you very much, I haven't tried yet but Im 99.99%
sure you are right, we let our tank get practically empty on last trip n that's when the issues started.

One ???, do I blow the air into the tank with the vent or do I need to undo vent pipe n blow out.

Thanks again, after I do these, I'll update the post

Mike

mjklm

Update....I blew out the vent n was able to fill holding tank, unscrewed exit line from pump to let air out....turned on pump to fill water heater n waterlines, nothing coming out, a little air, unscrewed intake line to pump, no water in line at all

mjklm

More updates: Im coming to the conclusion that the day I sell the camper will be the best day of my life. I've tried everyone's suggestions on my different problems, the vent in the water holding worked, thanks Gary 521. Nothing else is working, when I run the pump I only get air n very little water from the toilet line. I tried a bucket of water n used the winterizing hose with a faucet open add pump ran but didn't suck up a drop of water. Always, figured myself as a guy who could fix or improvise problems, my only conclusion is the pump is malfunctioning, much like my brain is trying to figure this out.

danemayer

Update....I blew out the vent n was able to fill holding tank, unscrewed exit line from pump to let air out....turned on pump to fill water heater n waterlines, nothing coming out, a little air, unscrewed intake line to pump, no water in line at all

Is there any water leaking where the fresh tank drain tube comes through the coroplast? That might indicate a damaged connection at the tank.

One last thing to check - disconnect the suction side where the clear bowl is located. Cover the input with your thumb to feel if there's any suction at the pump.

Lynn1130

I thought that over the years I had had every issue possible with water, tanks and pumps but you may have topped me.

I am with Dan on the pump and suction. I did have the pump run through the night when it did not get turned off and the tanks had been emptied. The pump ran ok for a short time after I filled the tanks but then stopped pumping but kept running. The diaphragm had gone out, probably due to so many hour of running without water. The suction trick Dan mentioned would probably show that issue.

The other issue I had with the pump not priming was a cracked connection on the pickup line at the pump. I suspect that froze at some point when temps were in the teens but that I could not confirm. In any event the pump was sucking enough air that it would not totally prime so I would get more air than water at the faucet.

So, if it is not a faulty pump, I would be leaning toward an air leak someplace and that is probably going to be a chore to find.

I don't know if you have done this already but I would be to the point of removing the pump and checking it on the bench.

LewisP

This is the Anderson valveView attachment 62797

Is the anderson valve brass, if is remove the plastic handle to see if it is twisting on a stiff turning valve. This will act like the valve is turning when it not. They should put metal handles on the brass valves. I have replaced 2 andeson valves because the valve got stiff and rounded out where it screws to the valve.

danemayer

Folks, the OP is asking for help on his 2011 Focus, so please let's stop posting about the Anderson Valve. A 2011 Focus doesn't have one.

heartland-focus-travel-trailer-exterior.jpg