Wall construction?

davelinde

What is behind the interior and exterior walls?

I'm contemplating things like adding cabinets (in the garage) and shelves and TV mounts and I'm not sure what's back there. It seems there's a 1/4" wall board of some sort but on the interior it seems like it floats and there's something (not like studs) behind it. The exterior seems more solid - like there are studs... but I'm not really sure how to locate them.

Just pondering at this point.

rideblue

There are aluminum studs in the walls but I'm not sure how to locate them. Not sure if a stud finder would work. If you find out please post because I would also like to know.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
I was told by the guy that installed my TV in the garage area that the walls are panels and that there are no studs in the area. They drilled two holes directly through the side and used carriage bolts from outside to secure the mount. The bolts were painted white and were not tightened to the point of dimpling the outside skin severely. So far, so good.

I would also like to know what the truth is here....

Thanks,

FJ

Lamphere

On that same note does anyone have a great way to locate where to put the toilet paper holder in the bathroom of the 2812?? We have yet to mount it and the dealer said they don't do that. Heartland said use a stud finder, they don't have a blue print. Thanks

robnmo

If memory serves me right where the TV's mount there is a plate (so to speak) in the TV mounting area's (garage and bedroom) we got a layout for our bedroom for mounting the TV. As for studs in the garage interior, if your talking about the short wall that's also the exterior of the loft area, there is studs in it that are aluminum NOT 16 on center. We found ours by looking close for the brads/etc shot into them to hold what appears to be a luan or similiar thin board covering. If you want some measurements from the interior of the outside walls let me know, gladly send them to see what you can find via a little tapping with a small hammer.

brianharrison

On that same note does anyone have a great way to locate where to put the toilet paper holder in the bathroom of the 2812?? We have yet to mount it and the dealer said they don't do that. Heartland said use a stud finder, they don't have a blue print. Thanks

This made me laugh - so what do dealers do? if they do not help the customer?

Anyhow I understand the interior walls do have some bracing - Check out this video from Campkins RVs 2011 Big Country by Heartland Factory Tour It shows the interior walls being added to the trailer about 3:40 mark. It is the Big Country line but I found the video informative.

Should be able to use a stud finder to find some bracing.

Take care,
Brian

rick_debbie_gallant

We bought one of those t.p. holders that has a built in magizine rack. ya can move it out of the way or put it where you want it. works for us.

Lamphere

We ended up getting on that the roll slides on so you only have one set of holes in the wall and found a stud in the center of the wall. Worked out really nice.