Truck and Trailer Safe Weights - HELP

shawnmuir

All New to this so I seem to be obsessed with calculating my Truck/Trailer weights since I got my Code 7 endorsement. Finally I have a trucker friend tell me to get real numbers you need to take it down and get it weighed, So I went to a Cat Scale and got the following weights...

TRUCK ACTUAL
Steer Axle - 5260 lbs
Drive Axle - 3860 lbs
Gross Weight - 9120 LBS

TRUCK/TRAILER ACTUAL
Steer Axle - 5160 lbs
Drive Axle - 7000 lbs
Trailer Axle - 10840 lbs
Gross Weight - 23000

TRUCK RATINGS for 2017 Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel, 4WD Crew Cab Short Box, A6 68RFE Transmission, 3.42 Axle Ratio.
GCWR - 25,300 lbs
GVWR - 11700 lbs
GAWR - FRONT 6000 lbs REAR 7000 lbs
TRAILER WEIGHT RATING - 17200 lbs
TRUCK PAYLOAD - 4070 lbs

TRAILER RATINGS for 2014 Big Country Heartland 3070RE
GVWR - 14000 lbs
AXLE RATING - Tandum 6000 lbs ea
DRY WEIGHT - 11298 lbs
PAYLOAD - 2702 lbs
HITCH WEIGHT - 2115 lbs

So from all this I have tried to find a good web site that calculates all this but have figured out that these are my findings...

I am 560 lbs OVER my GVWR
I assume that Tongue or pin weight is calculated by 25-30% of the GVWR and mine PASSES
Even though im under on my GCWR i cant put any more stuff in my truck like tools and such because I am at my max rating on my drive axle.

Anyone know how to properly do the math with all this and am I OK on my weights? Just getting confused with all this,

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your GVW is 12,160 per your weigh. Your truck GVWR is 14,000 so it looks like you are good there.
Your GCW weight is 23,000 and the GCWR is 25,000, so once again it looks good.
I don't see a problem with your weights.

Peace
Dave

avvidclif

Your GVW is 12,160 per your weigh. Your truck GVWR is 14,000 so it looks like you are good there.
Your GCW weight is 23,000 and the GCWR is 25,000, so once again it looks good.
I don't see a problem with your weights.

Peace
Dave
His Truck GVWR is 11,700 and his is 12,160. Only problem I see but not one I would worry about since the axles are fine.

SNOKING

Do you have a fuel tank in the truck bed? You truck is pretty heavy ready to tow. Chris

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
His Truck GVWR is 11,700 and his is 12,160. Only problem I see but not one I would worry about since the axles are fine.
I'm sorry for the wrong info. I made the mistake of assuming. I have pretty much the same truck except for a long bed, it has a GVWR of 14,000.
Didn't see that was a short bed.
But I wouldn't worry about being over by a couple hundred pounds.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

Moving weight from the back of the truck to the trailer may help some. Limiting unnecessary weight from the front storage area in the 5er will help. Same goes for the closet in the cap.

RickL

It appears you have 3200 lbs of pin weight. As was suggested you will need to remove weight forward of the front axle on the trailer. Either shift it over the axles or remove it entirely. (I doubt you have enough room to store it in the rear of the trailer.)

I realize it’s not much weight but during heavy braking that load weight will move forward onto your tow vehicle. In my opinion you are a good candidate for a dually.

SNOKING

Do you have a fuel tank in the truck bed? You truck is pretty heavy ready to tow. Chris

"Drive Axle - 3860 lbs" OP has not answered the question as to why has rear axle is so heavy unloaded. Maybe his wife "Lucy" collects rocks?

shawnmuir

It appears you have 3200 lbs of pin weight. As was suggested you will need to remove weight forward of the front axle on the trailer. Either shift it over the axles or remove it entirely. (I doubt you have enough room to store it in the rear of the trailer.)

I realize it’s not much weight but during heavy braking that load weight will move forward onto your tow vehicle. In my opinion you are a good candidate for a dually.

What is a safe % of the GVWR of the trailer to use as a guide for tongue or pin weight, I read 15%, 20%, and even high as 30%. I know my tongue weight is a little high and its effecting my drive axle rating. Its right on 7000 lbs. I dont have anything on the front of the trailer to move to the back thats heavy that why im confused on why my pin weight is so heavy. I did add a 40 gal fuel tank in the bed that adds 284 lbs of weight. My GVWR for the trailer is only 10840 lbs so wonder if I add have a tank of fresh water which is 300 lbs and that wound counterbalance the tongue and remove 300 lbs off the drive axle. Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

"Drive Axle - 3860 lbs" OP has not answered the question as to why has rear axle is so heavy unloaded. Maybe his wife "Lucy" collects rocks?

I did add a 40 gal fuel tank in the bed that add 280 lbs.
IMG-1048.JPG

SNOKING

. My GVWR for the trailer is only 10840 lbs so wonder if I add have a tank of fresh water which is 300 lbs and that wound counterbalance the tongue and remove 300 lbs off the drive axle. Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

I did add a 40 gal fuel tank in the bed that add 280 lbs.
View attachment 62906

The 10840 the trailers loaded axle weight. The plus the around 3040 lbs of pin weight puts the trailer at 13880, or 120 under it's GVWR of 14K.

The issue that puts you pushing your trucks limits is the extra load in the bed of the truck(fuel tank).

You are at 22%+/- for pin weight which is within the normal range.

I would be more worried about added more weight to the trailers axles which is about 1K under their combined ratings than running the trucks rear axle at it's max. This is depending on what you are running for trailer tires. Maybe you have Sailun LRG tires, however you still have the 6K axles.

shawnmuir

The 10840 the trailers loaded axle weight. The plus the around 3040 lbs of pin weight puts the trailer at 13880, or 120 under it's GVWR of 14K.

The issue that puts you pushing your trucks limits is the extra load in the bed of the truck(fuel tank).

You are at 22%+/- for pin weight which is within the normal range.

I would be more worried about added more weight to the trailers axles which is about 1K under their combined ratings than running the trucks rear axle at it's max. This is depending on what you are running for trailer tires. Maybe you have Sailun LRG tires, however you still have the 6K axles.

I thought the pin weight 3040 lbs was not added to the loaded axle weight as its load is transferred to the truck. When weighed at the Cat Scale that load does not show up oIMG-1360.JPGn the trailer axle weights. IMG-1359.JPG

RickL

I’m assuming you have the trailer loaded as you normally travel? When you weighed were your tanks empty? Do you have a on board generator?

The trailer axles stand stand by themselves so if they are 6000 lb axles you have the capability to carry 12,000 lbs ( keep in mind that the load would need to be equally distributed across both axles) The issue I see is that based on your mentioned weigh ticket you have for all intents and purposes zero room for anymore weight. (That’s what is prompting what you have in trailer) You are correct in that the pin weight doesn’t play a role on the axle weight. However, the numbers scream overweight. With your axle weight and pin weight your at 15,000 lbs for the trailer. That’s 1,000 lbs over the GVW for the trailer.

I would start all over, unload the trailer, and then weigh it with empty tanks. That will give you the base line for what can be loaded back into the trailer. Then using a scale weigh the individual items to ensure you have a good idea of the weight. Also, I’d recommend that you weigh the individual axles on the trailer (most cat scales can do individual axles) but if possible at some point have the individual wheel positions weighed as you may have a weight differential side to side more then you are aware of.

SNOKING

I thought the pin weight 3040 lbs was not added to the loaded axle weight as its load is transferred to the truck. When weighed at the Cat Scale that load does not show up oView attachment 62909n the trailer axle weights. View attachment 62908

Correct that part of the trailers gross weight is carried by the truck, it is however still part of the trailers weight and you are very close to the trailers 14K GVWR.

The poster above asked if you have a generator, given your weight over the dry pin weight I would guess you have a washer and dryer in the front closet.

Here are my weights for the truck and 5th wheel in my sig line, it show loaded for full timing. No Gen Set and no W/D.
Loaded
Front 5120
Rear6620
Truck11740
Trailer12780
Combined24520
Truck-8900
Trailer15620

BTW diesel ia 7.1 lbs per gal plus the tank, so that fuel is 320+ lbs with the tank.

If you want to stay loaded like you are, then a dually might me your best bet.

shawnmuir

I dont have a gen set or a washer and dryer. All I added was a 40 gal fuel tank in the bed of the truck. I didnt think the extra fuel tank would be such an issue. Not sure where all this weight is coming from.

SNOKING

I dont have a gen set or a washer and dryer. All I added was a 40 gal fuel tank in the bed of the truck. I didnt think the extra fuel tank would be such an issue. Not sure where all this weight is coming from.

There has to be something wrong with the 2115 dry pin weight maybe, what is the model number/name of the Big Country.

The other thing is was the truck in gear with your foot on the brake pedal? Drive train should be relaxed when weighing.

On edit I found model numbers that match yours: BC 3070RE

Dry Weight
11,298 lbs.

Payload Capacity
2,702 lbs.

GVWR
14,000 lbs.

Hitch Weight
2,115 lbs.

TedS

Are the trailer axles in the correct place or too far rearward resulting in a heavy hitch?

SNOKING

If the RV is labeled as 14,000 GVWR it needs to go on a diet.

Why do you say that, he is under 14K?

Did Lucy his DW hid rocks in the trailer somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

If the trailer brakes are holding the truck back while in gear on the scale, the trucks rear will see a higher weight reading. That is why I said the truck should be in neutral with the drive train relaxed. Chris

Last edited:

MTPockets

There’s nothing you can do with the description you have provided. Truck is under capacity. Your choice is to go as is, or get another truck.