Tire Monitoring System

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think so. My system saved me from tearing up the bottom of my slide when it warned me of low pressure due to a leak.
It won't do anything to prevent an immediate blow out but could prevent it if it was due to a leak.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi george637,

The short answer is YES. TPMS systems protect you from certain types of problems, alerting you before you have a total failure. For example, if your tire picks up a sharp object resulting in a gradual loss of air. You'll be alerted before the tire is irreparably damaged.

Without the TPMS, that type of air loss will usually end up with the tire getting shredded, causing damage to the RV.

The TPMS will alert you if you have a blowout (sudden air loss). That's important because when one tire fails, the entire load is on the remaining tire, significantly overloading it. If you don't pull over pretty quickly, you could end up with the other tire on that side failing a short time later.

Unfortunately, the TPMS cannot predict a blowout, and can't alert you before it happens, except where it's caused by gradually decreasing air pressure.

Certain types of brake failures can generate excess heat. The TPMS will also alert you to this. In my experience, if you have a temperature alarm, you'll need to investigate fully to find out to what extent the excess heat may have damaged other parts, including bearings.

sengli

I think so. It tells me if there was a leak immediately. Plus it tells me the pressure and temp of the tires as well. As your tooling down the road there really isnt a great way to see if there is a issue with a tire otherwise.

Of course there are a lot of other things to consider. First off make sure you have quality tires on the rig. Sometimes the tires arent all that great from the factory. Make sure you have the rated PSI in them. Having a blow out on these rigs is a big deal as the parts of the damaged tire tend to destroy the slides and the floor areas they contact.

SLO

TPMS alerted me to a slow leak when on the Top of the World Hwy in the Yukon this past summer. Ended up being a cracked rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Thanks for all this good advice. Does anyone know how easy or difficult the TPMS are to install?
I purchased the style that screws on in place of the stem cap... easy.. alerted me one time to an overheat situation on front wheel of my truck... overheated going down a long grade and using too much brake instead of driving slower....

george637

I purchased the style that screws on in place of the stem cap... easy.. alerted me one time to an overheat situation on front wheel of my truck... overheated going down a long grade and using too much brake instead of driving slower....
What system did you use?

sengli

Just one note on the TST or other systems. I have the TST 507 system on my rig. The batteries in the sending units dont last much more than a year. So be aware the batteries need replacement occasionally, which is no big deal to do.

8404fmfvet

I also have the TST 507, it was easy to install a little harder to program but that’s what YouTube is for. It is well worth the investment to prevent a blow out and worse. If you have a larger TT or 5th wheel make sure to hook up the repeater. I didn’t at first and would lose signal often. With the repeater, I always have connectivity and it refreshes often.

MTPockets

I also have the TST 507, it was easy to install a little harder to program but that’s what YouTube is for. It is well worth the investment to prevent a blow out and worse. If you have a larger TT or 5th wheel make sure to hook up the repeater. I didn’t at first and would lose signal often. With the repeater, I always have connectivity and it refreshes often.
Ditto on the repeater. I mounted mine above the rear bumper below bottom of tailgate. Wiring is right there; I found live wire only on when ignition is on.

Piperflyer

Just one note on the TST or other systems. I have the TST 507 system on my rig. The batteries in the sending units dont last much more than a year. So be aware the batteries need replacement occasionally, which is no big deal to do.

When not using the RV for extended periods, remove the TST from the valve stems. This will turn them off saving battery life