Outdoor Griddles

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Looking at traveling with a portable outdoor gas griddle. Wanted to see everyone’s opinion on the Blackstone. Like the compact 17” version, but the larger 22” might be worth the extra weight.

-Any preference between the single burner and double burner?
-I see after every use they recommend a light coat of oil on the griddle. How do you keep that stored without things getting all messy?
-How is the propane consumption?
-I see there is a gap between the griddle plate and the burners. Does a slight breeze blow out the flame?

Any other recommendations for griddles?

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jamie, there is a Blackstone group on Facebook. Check it out.
I have the 17" and the 22". The 22" is a little harder to travel with. My griddle, wrapped in a moving blanket, travels in the living room while the stand is in the bed of the truck.
Yes the wind can be a problem if you don't address it. A tip from the user group was to buy a half dozen bakers scrapers, or what ever their called, at the Dollar Store, Dollar General or one of those discount stores. They have a rolled "handle" that fits over the rim of the griddle. These nicely block the wind.
I prefer the 22".

Peace
Dave

JWalker

I have the 17" and the 22". The 22" is a little harder to travel with. My griddle, wrapped in a moving blanket, travels in the living room while the stand is in the bed of the truck.
Yes the wind can be a problem if you don't address it. A tip from the user group was to buy a half dozen bakers scrapers, or what ever their called, at the Dollar Store, Dollar General or one of those discount stores. They have a rolled "handle" that fits over the rim of the griddle. These nicely block the wind.
I prefer the 22".

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. Leaning towards the 22”. Hopefully stored on the basement. Replacing the old charcoal grill. No quite sure what the Bakery Scrapers trick is. Will do some research.

I did see that Royal Gourmet has a 22” version that is similar. But it has a porcelain enamel type coating for the griddle. It does not need seasoned or oiled. And can be cleaned removing the oil and grease every time. Very interesting
Royal Gourmet PD1300 Portable 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENX3VX2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mn9KDbTJDEQ4E

dewwood

I have the Blackstone 36" I use at home and love it. It is portable but would be a beast to take down and store and put back up. I have the Royal Gourmet 3 burner unit that I use in the camper and it is great for taking along on the road. It is two pieces, the griddle top which lifts off and the base which is fairly light weight. Clean up is easy because of the porcelain coating so it makes a great take along unit. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Piperflyer

I have the Blackstone 22" and love it. Once you get the grill seasoned right, you can cook anything on it with just a simple water clean up. I made a box that it fits in and holds all my cooking utensils and propane hose. It fits perfectly in the front compartment of my RV. Highly recommend it.
If you do buy one, buy the baker scrapers that cookie mentioned at the dollar store. They really do cut down on the wind getting under the griddle if it is windy out.

Bones

I prefer the 22".

Peace
Dave
Dave I love this solution. I have tried a couple things to block the wind. I will try this now and see how it works. I was even considering bending a piece of metal that would fit around the front of the griddle and the sides to block the wind.

jbeletti

I found these pics on the Blackstone Griddle Owners FB group but I'm unsure as to how they can be so effective as seen in the second image.
65127588_10162453054820500_5356309699740303360_o.jpg 65283912_10219762648716362_2479538504640495616_o.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Looking at traveling with a portable outdoor gas griddle. Wanted to see everyone’s opinion on the Blackstone. Like the compact 17” version, but the larger 22” might be worth the extra weight.

-Any preference between the single burner and double burner?
-I see after every use they recommend a light coat of oil on the griddle. How do you keep that stored without things getting all messy?
-How is the propane consumption?
-I see there is a gap between the griddle plate and the burners. Does a slight breeze blow out the flame?

Any other recommendations for griddles?

Thanks

Jamie- out with BH
f971e6680582c595178b60bae37d5006.jpg
3fb830746ffd59b06aa512a4b245a47b.jpg
this week and I’ve used our Blackstone almost exclusively.
The griddle flips upside down and fits over the frame so as to “protect” it and any items from getting dirty from greasy residue.
I just scrape off any food particles and wipe off so mine isn’t exceptionally greasy
I’ll take some pictures for you. Don’t expect them right away as there’s no cell service at our campsite. We’re out for a ride at the moment so checking in

Supper and breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Jamie- out with BH
f971e6680582c595178b60bae37d5006.jpg
3fb830746ffd59b06aa512a4b245a47b.jpg
this week and I’ve used our Blackstone almost exclusively.
The griddle flips upside down and fits over the frame so as to “protect” it and any items from getting dirty from greasy residue.
I just scrape off any food particles and wipe off so mine isn’t exceptionally greasy
I’ll take some pictures for you. Don’t expect them right away as there’s no cell service at our campsite. We’re out for a ride at the moment so checking in

Supper and breakfast

Thanks Lyle
Wasn’t aware you had a Blackstone.

JWalker

So much easier to just take the electric griddle outside.

I would love an electric version of the griddle. I just can’t seem to find any that are as heavy constructed with a large industrial surface area like the gas versions.

travlingman

Have the 22" and love it. Use it the majority of time. I use a propane hose to hook it up to a 20 lb. tank. Just got back from the beach and did have an issue with wind one day. Wind was 20+ MPH so had trouble getting grill as hot as I wanted. Flames never blew out though. Will look into the scrapper idea.

CarterKraft

So much easier to just take the electric griddle outside.

I would love an electric version of the griddle. I just can’t seem to find any that are as heavy constructed with a large industrial surface area like the gas versions.

I have tried several electric griddles and none have any power outside in the wind in the cooler months.

I know have the 22" unit with stand and lid. It works well enough but is heavy, too large, heavy and cumbersome to pack in the storage bag and is a decent pain to deal with.
1833_22griddlewithhoodandstand_web.jpeg_04.jpg

It is excellent for cooking allot of food for allot of people fast but for normal 4 people family I think the tabletop 17" would be just fine.

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Curious to see feedback, we carry a Weber gas Q, cooks ok. Also carry a Weber bullet smoker but I like the Blackstone and Royal design so I can stop also carry an electric plate for bacon outside instead of making a mess inside the BH. I guess I'm following...

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I have the 22" with the cover that works great for 8-10 people or 2. I keep it on my Mor-Ryde sliding tray and just slide it out to a 4ft table so I only move it 2 feet. I don't even use the stand any more.

JWalker

Well, I bit the bullet. There seem to be a lot of very pleased Blackstone owners out there.

Now I just need to rearrange the basement in the Elkridge

9697149b7aabca9c0c511263ecb6dc12.jpg

Bones

Well, I bit the bullet. There seem to be a lot of very pleased Blackstone owners out there.

Now I just need to rearrange the basement in the Elkridge

9697149b7aabca9c0c511263ecb6dc12.jpg

Congrats enjoy. Let me know if it works better than mine.

jstarwal

I have the 17". I enjoy cooking on it but the burner does not defuse the heat very good. To hot in the middle. I wish I would have bought the 22" I think the double burner might work better.

jstarwal

I also have the Tailgater. I really enjoy it but it is 75#. It does come apart but still heavy and pretty big.
b0f858a96962a7f6e76ea8c3af6f1c1f.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I added two trunk handles for easy carrying and moving and store with the griddle upside down on the frame
054bffd306b2b27c4e68a262531d0d53.jpg

f97b73bac2249e6c0618925512a3be6b.jpg