Electric Problem

Rich Knight

Wolfer Wagon
Shorty after making our first trip the DC lights started to dim. They would after awhile go back to bright or normal. Problem got worse. 2 weeks ago and the converter was replaced (Under Warranty). The problem however still exists. I turn the Lights on and after a while they dim down like someone was using a dimmer switch. Later they will go back to bright. Where do I start looking?

Dave

Traveling Two
Rich,

Are all the lights going dim? Does the radio front panel also dim out, does the water pump work properly during these "brown out" periods? If all 12dc devices are effected during the brown out, it is almost certain to be a ground problem. Check every ground in every place you think there might be a ground. Ground issues can really through you a curve. Good luck, eventually you will find the problem.

Dave
3300SK Sundance

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Shorty after making our first trip the DC lights started to dim. They would after awhile go back to bright or normal. Problem got worse. 2 weeks ago and the converter was replaced (Under Warranty). The problem however still exists. I turn the Lights on and after a while they dim down like someone was using a dimmer switch. Later they will go back to bright. Where do I start looking?

I had a problem much like that with my kitchen and living room lights. Going from dim to bright at times, not always, just intermittenly. My switches are inside the closet on the right just as you come in and I had gotten tired of having to open and close the mirrored closet doors just to turn lights on and off. So last Saturday I added two switches just above the thermostat and inline with the bathroom switches. When I removed the current switches to tap into them and extend to the other switches, the main feed wire just came right out of the crimped connector. With very little effort I could tug on all four wires and they would come right out of the connections. I bought new crimp connections and now all is right. Rest assured, I will be checking EVERY switch connection in my coach. Another Heartland QC issue. Note to self: Add that to list I sent to Jim last night.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Depending on how bright or dim your lights get, this may be normal. When the battery is not being charged by the converter it may only be working at 12 or so volts. When the converter kicks in and starts to top off the battery the voltage will go up instantly and the lights will get noticeably brighter until the charger stops then they will dim but not to the same extent that they got bright. They will gradually get dimmer till the voltage drops enough to kick the charger on. I also feel the more lights (12 volt) you have going at the same time will make this even more noticeable. Just food for thought.

davelinde

They will gradually get dimmer till the voltage drops enough to kick the charger on. I also feel the more lights (12 volt) you have going at the same time will make this even more noticeable. Just food for thought.

I was thinking my situation could be related to a charging cycle. When mine starts to cycle it will be bright for about a minute, then dim for a minute. It cycles like that for a few hours or so.

jpmorgan37

I'm just curious. I added a second battery and I don't have the problem. Do others with multiple batteries experience the dimming lights?

John

fljlcw

I have 2 batteries and still have that problem I think its A ground or loose connection somewhere

jpmorgan37

Good point flcljw. One thing that I do is to periodically check all of the connections at my fuse panel and breaker panel to make sure that they stay tight. Also when checking the level in my batteries, make sure the terminals are clean and tight. I have had connections come loose at receptacles and on the breaker panel.

John

My 09 3370 BH came with 2 batteries, and have not experienced any change in light brightness. I have been fulltiming sence April.