Solar for trickle charging battery only--how much wattage is needed

kseagle

We have a 2015 Landmark Key Largo. It sits in storage for 6 months at a time in AZ so lots of sun. How much wattage should we need to keep the batteries topped off? Would the Harbor Freight 100w panel work and what other accessories (if any) are needed? Can it be connected directly to the battery with the battery cut off system in the "off" position? thanks so much for your input.

Oregon_Camper

Sure...100w will be plenty, if your only goal is to keep batteries topped off while in storage.

It won't do much to provide power back to batteries while camping.

You'll need a charge controller to manage the power to the battery. Most come with a PWM controller, which will do the job. If you ever add more solar, moving to a MPPT controller will be better. You will wire directly to the battery

CoveredWagon

I am using a 50 watt Newpow solar panel (find it on Amazon) and a 45 watt Deltran solar controller. I've used this set recommended to me by the techs at Deltran for the past 3 winters. The 2 batteries are always ready to be used.
I've used Deltran Battery Tenders for years with perfect success. Try starting an aircraft sitting in an unheated hangar in the winter in MI without some battery help.

1014191425a_HDR.jpg1014191419a.jpg1014191417a.jpg

Lynn1130

That will be more than sufficient in our AZ sun to do what you want to do. I think mine is 25 or 50 watt from Grangers and has been keeping three 12 volts topped off while in store with no issues.

I have two sets of Batteries: TWO six Volt T105's (House) and two Standard 12-Volt Starting batteries for my Diesel Engine. ANYONE know how many TRICKLE Volts I would need for the 6-Volt Batteries? I would assume that I would add two Panels, one for each bank. The Two Starting Batteries in my my Freightliner Truck.

I have the same question as Dwatsspdx has. And, does it come with a Control Module to keep your batteries from boiling off?
THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE. I am running out of time to get this done as we launch in a week and I have to order
Panels really soon.
Regards, DJ

centerline

djpjkglg1199,​

this is an old thread you are attempting to revive..... you can start a new one of your own and more people will see it and offer their support.

but for your needs, use no less than a 50watt panel and an MPPT controller, MINIMUM..... and use an ACR unit to charge boat banks at the same time, which is a simple, easy to install unit that will take care of everything you need it to do..... automatically.

there is nothing else needed, other than the wires to connect it together..... and it wont overcharge or undercharge the banks, and no maintenance of the system is required, other than servicing the batteries periodically..

I would size the controller so that you can add more panels if you want to in the future, and if you have room for a bigger panel right now, I would highly recommend 100watts

this is an excellent 100w kit, all inclusive... except for the ACR unit...

Last edited:

Dwatspdx

djpjkglg1199,​

this is an old thread you are attempting to revive..... you can start a new one of your own and more people will see it and offer their support.

but for your needs, use no less than a 50watt panel and an MPPT controller, MINIMUM..... and use an ACR unit to charge boat banks at the same time, which is a simple, easy to install unit that will take care of everything you need it to do..... automatically.

there is nothing else needed, other than the wires to connect it together..... and it wont overcharge or undercharge the banks, and no maintenance of the system is required, other than servicing the batteries periodically..

I would size the controller so that you can add more panels if you want to in the future, and if you have room for a bigger panel right now, I would highly recommend 100watts

this is an excellent 100w kit, all inclusive... except for the ACR unit...

I was actually looking at the same kit you recommended, I will go with that one! Thank you for the help.