Steps going into the bedroom

Herbeez

When I was at a recent RV show I saw a 5th wheel made by Grand Design that had hard steps going into the bedroom that were brown and looked like they were made from a composite or plastic material. They looked very durable. I would be interested in purchasing these steps to custom fit in my Sundance since the carpet is wearing out. I checked at a Grand Design dealer, but they won't order anything without a VIN number. Does anyone out there have any ideas on this? Thanks.

danemayer

I think you're on your own to find materials and either cut them yourself, or find someone to do the job for you. Grand Design is probably uninterested in doing a custom job for a non-customer. Heartland is probably uninterested in taking on a piece of custom work using materials they don't currently use.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you’re on Facebook join the Heartland RV Owners group page and search for Gus Funderburg. He replaced the carpeted steps with a laminate plank flooring

Here’s a picture from his post

c00eebed34f5a43892e7e2433234549b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLR

That's kinda funny, we have 3 friends that have momentums and everyone of them have added carpet to the steps because they are very slippery and 1 of them actually fell down the steps

Sent from BLR Logistics

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
That's kinda funny, we have 3 friends that have momentums and everyone of them have added carpet to the steps because they are very slippery and 1 of them actually fell down the steps

Sent from BLR Logistics

Interesting. Thanks. Never thought about that. I’m sure that could be an issue with the wife and those big furry socks she wears around the camper during the colder days.

BLR

Interesting. Thanks. Never thought about that. I’m sure that could be an issue with the wife and those big furry socks she wears around the camper during the colder days.
We were just talking about it last night sitting around the campfire..
Thought I would share their experiences.

Sent from BLR Logistics

travelin2

There are materials with various finishes from super smooth to imitation wood grain textures, vinyl planks vs synthetic woods.
Shop around if interested you’d be surprised at the selection.
Home Depot seems to have the best selection for touchy-feely over Lowe’s IMO.
Gus used the aluminum corners on the treads. They have grooves in the extrusion for traction at the steps’ edges
When our carpet in the BR , hall and steps craps out I intend to replace it with vinyl planks. The rest of the rig was ordered with no carpet

LBR

Gus used the aluminum corners on the treads. They have grooves in the extrusion for traction at the steps’ edges

Yup.....I think we could all agree that the planks on the top of steps is a non-issue, but it's definately having a little traction on the very edge....whether it be what's mentioned above, or the carpet.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
There are materials with various finishes from super smooth to imitation wood grain textures, vinyl planks vs synthetic woods.
Shop around if interested you’d be surprised at the selection.
Home Depot seems to have the best selection for touchy-feely over Lowe’s IMO.
When our carpet in the BR , hall and steps craps out I intend to replace it with vinyl planks. The rest of the rig was ordered with no carpet

Thanks LM—. I sort of like the carpet in the bedroom. But I can see the carpet on the steps starting to show its age. It looks like the Elkridge will be with us for at least another two years. So a change in material might be in the near future.

travelin2

Thanks LM—. I sort of like the carpet in the bedroom. But I can see the carpet on the steps starting to show its age. It looks like the Elkridge will be with us for at least another two years. So a change in material might be in the near future.

I hear ya! Our steps are showing the same signs after just 3 years. Far from high quality
Our BR carpet is becoming stretched from the slide’s in and outs so it’ll go at the same time

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Sent from BLR Logistics

The metal riser strips I used have small “treads” on them to help prevent that from happening.

boatto5er

I hear ya! Our steps are showing the same signs after just 3 years. Far from high quality
Our BR carpet is becoming stretched from the slide’s in and outs so it’ll go at the same time

I used self stick carpet squares to replace the bedroom carpeting. Yeah, you can see where they fit together sometimes when the nap brushes a certain way and the light is a little different, but they are fairly easy to work with and they’re very comfortable on the feet )good padding). Comes in several shades.

travelin2

I used self stick carpet squares to replace the bedroom carpeting. Yeah, you can see where they fit together sometimes when the nap brushes a certain way and the light is a little different, but they are fairly easy to work with and they’re very comfortable on the feet )good padding). Comes in several shades.

Good to know. The rollers under the bed frame don’t catch on any of the seams? We have items stored under our bed which adds a couple hundred pounds. How sticky are the backs if there’s a failure and they’d need removed?

boatto5er

No difficulty with rollers so far. The pads are sticky enough to hold in place, but can be pulled up. If your bedroom floor is OSB, like ours, then the surface is slightly uneven. That helps with them not sticking super tight like they would on a smoother surface. We have a ton of stuff in the under bed storage also.

travelin2

No difficulty with rollers so far. The pads are sticky enough to hold in place, but can be pulled up. If your bedroom floor is OSB, like ours, then the surface is slightly uneven. That helps with them not sticking super tight like they would on a smoother surface. We have a ton of stuff in the under bed storage also.

Thanks!!

sengli

The first day we camped in our then, brand new 2013 big horn, with carpeted steps. I slipped and broke my right wrist, pretty badly. $10k later and 6 screws, two steel plates. You can indeed slip and fall on just about anything, if you arent careful. I would think the plastic steps to be even more slippery.