Number of "Guests" vs Number of members

wdk450

I have been noticing the figures on this on the Forum portal page under "Currently Active Users". This morning it was 4717 on the forum - 4636 "Guests" and 78 Members. Is the forum being used as a general reference source for the RV community, or is this an internet "denial of service" attempt??? These kind of numbers appear every time I login lately.
Do we need to review our "free use" guest policy, or try to collect something for the support of this valuable resource???

avvidclif

Un-knot your knickers. The way I look at it a percentage of those guests will turn into owners when they see the level of support available. The number of guests hasn't affected me at all, did they you?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, are you proposing that this become a “pay to play” forum? Sorry, I’m not for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBR

I'm sure that a certain percentage of the guests here are what's known as 'spiders'. They crawl around forum sites looking for personal information.

If anyone here uses their emails as a username...beware!

wdk450

The purpose of my thread was mainly to let other members know that this is happening constantly, and to be sure that this super valuable resource remains available to the "members" who financially support it. If this continuous large number of "guests" has no ill effects on the paid members, and if the moderators have no concerns, then I guess all is well, and I can untie my shorts.

RickL

Have you thought that maybe a number of theses “guests” are actually Heartland owners who either haven’t logged in or really don’t want to signup for the service? Also it could be potential new Heartland owners seeking information on a particular brand and its issues.

I for one don’t have an issue regardless who is accessing the information. Keep in mind that they cannot chime in without logging in or becoming members.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a problem with it. This forum software is able to weed out most dangerous spammers. Mods get the rest.
And there are no paid members.

Peace
Dave

Jim828

Could be that some folks have the same issue I have: if I log in on my phone and I happen to go outside and lose my wifi signal, I'm logged out. Most times I check the topics and don't log in at that time.

wdk450

Evidently something has changed since I started this thread. Maybe the way the software counts number of users online? Anyways the current numbers are now like 500 - 700 users online instead of the 4,000 - 5,000 reported previously.

BLR

Could be that some folks have the same issue I have: if I log in on my phone and I happen to go outside and lose my wifi signal, I'm logged out. Most times I check the topics and don't log in at that time.
FYI
On a phone use Tapatalk..
So much easier..
I have only used Tapatalk/ phone for the last 3+ years..
Don't even own a computer or laptop anymore

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

ILH

As someone else stated, I suspect the numbers are inflated by members who don't actually log in when they visit the site.

In my case, 98% of the time, I use my laptop to read the posts - which automatically logs me in. But rarely, when I log in via my phone, it doesn't log me in (which is frustrating). :cool: