Propane Flow Problem

RVFun4Us

OK Heartlanders, another puzzle to solve. DW told me the furnace was on but blowing cold air. Well, just switched tanks a couple of days ago (we always keep one full and manually turn lever when one is empty). Up until today, the furnace was working fine with that door side tank. Looked at the propane gauge and it showed green for that tank (doorside). I took the tank out and could tell it had plenty of propane left. So put it back in, came in and tested the stove to see if it would light. It was minimal at first, but then the burners returned to normal. So I switched one tank for the other to see if it was a tank issue. Had same problem. The off-door side works fine with either tank when the furnace is on. The door side does not but still functions with the stove. So I am guessing it is a flow issue on the door side (has a round red plastic propane regulator in-line there). Haven't tried the refrigerator or water heater on propane using door-side bottle (usually run these on electricity). So what do you all think? I saw a post from last year indicating something similar and suggested replacing the hose and I guess the plastic regulator on the door side. Does this point to a clogged or partially clogged hose or regulator? Worked fine this morning, not this afternoon. Thanks for your input.

danemayer

I believe you've diagnosed it correctly. Replace the doorside regulator and pigtail.

It's possible there could be a problem at the dual regulator on the other side, but that's less likely.

WillyBill

One other thought? How cold was it last night? My Cyclone will not always light when it gets down to the low-Mid 20"s - usually happens in the wee hours. If there is ice on the outside of the bottle when the unit doesn't fire, the problem may just be low propane pressure due to temperature. I found help with the issue by putting valve selector in the "Both" position so it runs off of two tanks and that seems to get the bottle pressure up enough that it stopped the "Failure to fire" issue. I haven't tried the bottle heater option yet because I don't do enough camping in really cold temps - yet LOL. Just a thought?

WB

RVFun4Us

One other thought? How cold was it last night? My Cyclone will not always light when it gets down to the low-Mid 20"s - usually happens in the wee hours. If there is ice on the outside of the bottle when the unit doesn't fire, the problem may just be low propane pressure due to temperature. I found help with the issue by putting valve selector in the "Both" position so it runs off of two tanks and that seems to get the bottle pressure up enough that it stopped the "Failure to fire" issue. I haven't tried the bottle heater option yet because I don't do enough camping in really cold temps - yet LOL. Just a thought?

WB

Actually happened in mid afternoon with temps in the 60s.

Last edited by a moderator:

RVFun4Us

OK, changed out the door-side regulator and the pigtail. Still have same problems. Off-door side works for furnace operation, door-side still does not work with furnace. Fan comes on but just blowing cold air. Stovetop works from either side, refrigerator appears to work on propane fine from either side. But furnace does not work from door-side. When I flipped the tanks, the problem still existed. So now what? Looking for any other ideas.

danemayer

You'll probably have to start changing parts on the off-door-side.

One year I had a bit of oil built up in the hose coming out of the dual regulator. On ours, that hose goes down, and loops back up where it connects to iron pipe. I was running out of things to replace and when I disconnected that hose and blew air through, some oil came out. The oil was creating a flow restriction.

RVFun4Us

You'll probably have to start changing parts on the off-door-side.

One year I had a bit of oil built up in the hose coming out of the dual regulator. On ours, that hose goes down, and loops back up where it connects to iron pipe. I was running out of things to replace and when I disconnected that hose and blew air through, some oil came out. The oil was creating a flow restriction.

Thanks Dan. Also tried the water heater on both tanks and it worked fine with good gas flow. So the furnace seems to be the main problem. Does it require more gas flow than the refrigerator or water heater? Will try the furnace one more time this morning on the door side tank. If that doesn't work, will try blowing out the line between the off-door side to the door side. If nothing is wrong there, then my last guess is the off-door side regulator and replacing that. Guess the worst case in replacing parts is that you have extras if or when I have another issue.

danemayer

The furnace uses more propane than the refrigerator or stove. I think the Onan generator requires even more.

Disconnect the hose at both ends before blowing it out. And I would blow out the hose coming off the dual regulator before buying a new regulator.

I am having a similar problem. Last night my propane ran out, I switched bottles this morning and could not get the furnace to fire back up. I checked the burners on the stove top and other appliances. I definitely have a flow problem! I typically only use the door side propane connection and usually have a 100 pound bottle hooked up since we full time. I switched it up with 3 different bottles (all full) and from both propane compartments. I finally have enough flow to run the stove top and H2o heater, but the furnace still will not fire up. I assume it's a restriction in a line or in a regulator close to the source since it's effecting all propane appliances.

Ive never blown the lines out. Is it better to blow it out in the direction the gas flows or opposite? Is it possible to blow out the regulator and valve or are they restricted? I would assume it would act as a check valve for back flow prevention? Any other considerations in clearing out the whole system?

Also, if it is necessary to replace the regulator or gas lines, where is the best place to get them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LBR

I am having a similar problem. Last night my propane ran out, I switched bottles this morning and could not get the furnace to fire back up. I checked the burners on the stove top and other appliances. I definitely have a flow problem! I typically only use the door side propane connection and usually have a 100 pound bottle hooked up since we full time. I switched it up with 3 different bottles (all full) and from both propane compartments. I finally have enough flow to run the stove top and H2o heater, but the furnace still will not fire up. I assume it's a restriction in a line or in a regulator close to the source since it's effecting all propane appliances.

Ive never blown the lines out. Is it better to blow it out in the direction the gas flows or opposite? Is it possible to blow out the regulator and valve or are they restricted? I would assume it would act as a check valve for back flow prevention? Any other considerations in clearing out the whole system?

Also, if it is necessary to replace the regulator or gas lines, where is the best place to get them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Describe the temperatures that your in last night and this morning....am assuming you are in AK?

I'm Actually in CO. It was about 15 F this morning, that is a very typical low temp this time of year, we have been here all winter with no propane problems at all.
I really don't think it is temp related. It's now early afternoon 45 F and I have the same symptoms.

Flick

I'm Actually in CO. It was about 15 F this morning, that is a very typical low temp this time of year, we have been here all winter with no propane problems at all.
I really don't think it is temp related. It's now early afternoon 45 F and I have the same symptoms.

It sounds as if there may be a propane delivery problem at your furnace. It may not be a propane problem at all at your tanks. Could be a bad thermocouple. Just thinking out loud.

danemayer

There's a hose coming out of the bottom of the dual regulator that probably connects to a piece of iron pipe along the frame. There's likely a low spot in the hose which may be the source of your problem. Disconnect the hose from both ends and blow it out.

Do not use compressed air on the regulator. If the hose doesn't fix the problem, your next step would be to replace the dual regulator.

RVFun4Us

Since I started this thread, I tried everything mentioned, finally replaced the dual regulator a few months back. Waiting for our first Spring trip to try out on the road. Seems to work fine here at home on each side. Furnace fired up, good heat distribution. So in my case, the dual regulator was at fault. As far as what to replace with, I just replaced it with the same model and brand since I knew all the fittings would work and I wouldn't have to reroute any lines. Believe the brand I have is Fairview. Ordered on-line and received in about a week. So I would suggest researching your current regulator and replace with same brand. Good luck.

I disconnected everything from the regulator downstream and all fittings at the appliances and blew out every line. I did get some oil out of the line that connects to the hard pipe and one chunk of crud at the fitting that feeds the stove top. After cleaning all of that out and connecting all of the fittings back up, I hooked up my tanks and had ZERO propane to anything. I couldn't even light one burner.

I built a line with a regulator that I can connect directly to my 100 pound cylinder and connected that directly to my hard pipe that feeds all gas appliances. Everything works perfectly now. Tomorrow I order a new dual regulator.

Thanks for all of the responses!