Awning screws stripped out.

caokgafamily

My door side awning 3/8 coarse thread bracket screws are stripped out. If you follow the arm support of the awning up at the top of the camper I'm talking about the grey bracket. The screws go into the fiberglass of the fiver. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this ? If you tighten them they just keep turning. I was thinking about taking the bracket off and then jam some wood pieces in the hole then retighten. Has any body run into this problem before?

Thanks for the help...

SmokeyBare

Steve,

You MIGHT find a hollow aluminum channel behind the fiberglass. If it is.... it would take more than wood stuffed in the hole...

Might consider looking at a plastic molly that would go in the hole... but to use the same size lag screw... the hole might need made bigger to accept a large enough molly for the size of screw.

Look at the different types of through the wall fasteners at a home building center.... but remember the shallow thickness of the wall... when selecting what you decide on using....

There might be others with far better advice than I have...

Good Luck...

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had the same thing happen to me. I used an anchor like this and 2 part epoxy to keep it in place. Available at most or all home centers and hardware stores. Be sure to get a size large enough so the threads of the lag bolt don't have to cut too deep. This may cause the anchor to turn in the hole and make things worse. Mine has held for 2 years with no problems.

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 37

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Had the same problem with my Landmark.There was nothing there to screw into other than the outside wall,so I used a plastic bolt anchor and some caulking.Has worked fine for a couple of years now.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Had that happen to the Holiday Rambler we owned before the Bighorn. DH pulled the belly down and realized there was nothing there but the fiberglass wall so he added some wood to the back side, got longer lag bolts and reattached the awning bracket.

Never had another problem after that...so far the Bighorn has been OK!